Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's probably time for me to get a cell phone. Yes, I'm probably one of a handful
that don't already have a cell phone.

What I'd like to know is what is a good cellular provider for the bay around
the bay bridge and northern Anne Arundel county?

What is good and what is not so good would be helpful.

Thanks

·
Registered
690 Posts
Just dont make the same mistake I did. When releasing a fish after putting my phone in my flannel jacket pocket it fell out into the drink while bending over the side. How stupid.....

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Verizon... pay the extra 8 bucks a month or whatever it is for insurance. Your milage may vary, but I go through 2 or 3 phones a year. Also, overestimate on your minutes, or text msgs, data package, etc. if you get them. You can reduce your minutes later if you see you won't need them, but it can be real expensive if you go over. -S

·
Registered
628 Posts
I have to carry two cell phones in AA County...one for work (Cingular), the other personal (Verizon). I still have blackouts and reception probs with the Cingular service and am forced to use my persaonal Verizon service to get by. So I recommend...Verizon. :thumbup:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Had Nextel Could Not Get A Signal When It Was Important Phone Call.
Dropped Nextel And Went With Verizon And Have No Problems Ever Making A
Call Anywhere I Go. I Am Very Happy With Verizon.

Capt.mack

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Bill...
I have Nextel...argh!

I am lookin' at the posts about verizon.

I am in Edgewater. Fish outta the SR..TPL area. If I get anywhere near the channel east of me (usually fihin' going towards BPL)..I get nada signal...dead. I may donate mine to Davey Jones' Locker soon. (Or paint it Chartruese and put it on vibrate witha stinger hook, maybe good fer the next :rockon: report!?)

I do not like my service in this area.

Jim

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Verizon again. Have had the best service the last three years, generally BUT, there are some dead areas too with Verizon.

TIP........for Verizon users. You can update / refresh your service monthly is recommended by verizon, so that you can have the BEST available service, and here's how you do it...............

on your cell phone ( make sure it is on ) Press *22891 , Send , Listen to instructions, then when completed, just end your call. It only takes a few minutes to complete, well worth doing ! !

This is "NEAT", and I've had the ability to pick up service in some previous areas, by doing this monthly......no charge for it either.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Verizon has good coverage for your area.
Nextel? - OK on the main roads, spotty at best on the water.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Depending on how you plan to use your new cell phone, you may be interested in a pay-as-you go phone. I use my cell phone when on business trips or as an occasional emergency phone. Nearly all of my calls are outgoing. I did not want to deal with a minimum monthly contract.

Two years ago, I bought a Virgin Mobile phone (multiple models are available with various prices and features). I do not have any monthly plan. Instead I pay 18 cents per minute. My only obligation is to add $20 of credit to the phone every 3 months. This is perfect for my needs. If you are going to make or receive a lot of calls, the plan is not a good choice. I do get good signals all over AA Co. and in many other states. I pay the same fee anywhere in the USA.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks

Thanks for all of the input guys. It looks like Verizon is the way to go. I stopped
by the mall this morning and talked to a Verizon rep but haven't signed any contract
yet.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
414 Posts
Check out the Verizon Website or go to a company store, not an authorized reseller. I bought my phones off the website and got a great deal. I was buying two though, one for the Admiral and I.:D I had Nextel for 5 years, and after moving to AA Co. last year had nothing but problems. Unfortunately I had just upgraded my phone so I was stuck with a contract. After fighting Nextel for a month and filing complaints with both the FCC and the BBB, I was able to get out of my contract with out paying. How's that for sticking it to the man...:clap: :clap:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts