Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just traded a friend of mine some rockfish fillets for some fresh goose breast. I have the goose trimmed out, and soaking in brine in the fridge. Just wondering if anyone wants to share some good recipes for cooking up the goose? Marinades? Spices? Bring it on. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
hd,
Did it a few years back. Marinaded in O.J. Guide told me to stuff the cavity (was a whole goose) with apples and peeled oranges. Then basted it with O.J. and orange marmilade while roasting it. I took the goose over to a party at a friend's house that have never eaten goose before. Everyone tore it up, was great.

Jim

·
Registered
11 Posts
best way is marinate with favorite sauce, teriyaki i prefer. slice the meat into 1/2" thick slices and cook in olive oil or butter hot and fast. this meat is easy to overcook. just a few minutes on each side. just enough to let the middle get war,
good luck bob

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I tried many recepies and this by far is my favorite..........perfect for a Thanksgiving Hor's De Voir'sthumbup:

Take a half breast deboned, deskinned(looks like the size of a chicken breast.........slice breast long ways into 3/8-1/2" strips.......put all strips in zip-lock covered in italian or ceasar dressing(your choice) and soak overnight........buy your favorite cheese(i do sharp cheddar and sharp pepper cheese, and cut it into 1"x1" cubes about a 1/4 inch thick..........slice a pound of bacon through all bacon slices so that bacon strips are now 2"long.............when ready to cook, on a cookie sheet, place a strip of goose, then a strip of bacon on top of the goose forming an x........place a square of cheese......x marks the spot.........fold bacon up and over cheese, fold goose up and over bacon, stick a toothpick down the middle........broil until cheese melts down and touches cookie sheet.

Options.......basting with your favorite barbeque sauce is very good
......if you like your bacon crispy, pre-cook it slightly
.......our family like things hot so we add a fresh slice of jallepeno pepper under the cheese.

REMEMBER........foul does not need to be cooked well like chicken.......cook it through and you better just grab a leather boot and eat it.........pink is good....I think the proper temp is 140

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Best you will ever have and easy : 2 cans of French Onion Soup . 2 cans of Campbell's Golden Mushroom Soup and 2 cans of beef broth . Put the breast and all of the above in a crockpot along with plenty of fresh chopped garlic and onions , a tad of worcestershire , and let it cook all day . Serve over wide egg noodles or decent rice and you won't be sorry .:yes:

·
Registered
552 Posts
This is the one from Angus Philips.
I have some cooking right now.

Put a handful of celery stalks, one green pepper, one onion, some oregano and several cloves of garlic in a blender and mix them up. Add two shots of Jack Daniel's whiskey and can of condensed chicken stock. Take the resulting soupy mixture, coat the goose with it inside and out and pour the remainder in the pan. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven for five hours at 225.
Or use “Brown in Bag”
Pull off the meat, array it artfully in a dish and pour some pan drippings over the top.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Bob B. , You have the only way to cook goose breast !! Melts in your mouth !!! :chef::chugbeer::chef::chugbeer:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Just remember to keep it moist while cooking it. . If you don't keep it moist it will be very dry...baste it often...

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
REMEMBER........foul does not need to be cooked well like chicken.......cook it through and you better just grab a leather boot and eat it.........pink is good....I think the proper temp is 140
That's the key when cooking duck or goose. It's not chicken. Medium rare is fine. Nothing better then wood duck marinated in teriyaki and grilled MR. :thumbup: Goose would be good this way too.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Busted 18 birds on Kent island this morning:thumbup: Don't overcook!! I will second the cut into small slices with the grain of the meat. They are a big hit at ravens tailgates:yes:

Photobucket

Photobucket

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I just fired some on the grill today, marinated in bbq sauce for 2 days. Wrap in bacon put on grill. This is the first time Ive had it and didnt know what to expect but it sure was good.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Haven't shot one in awhile but the wife slices each breast lengthwise & wraps the four peices in bacon, only in the oven for a short time then she makes a gravy out of the juices
great eatin.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I have never cooked a goose before, is it high fat content like duck? or low fat content like pheasant? Based upon the number of people who recommend wrapping it in bacon, it sounds like a low fat content fowl. That means using the bones, especially the breast bone, the thighs and legs, would probably make an excellent broth which can be made into a great soup with carrots, spatzl, and herbs.

I do not know for certain, but I know I can get a great soup out of pheasant bones and trimmings after consuming the meat. Duck is good too, but high in fat, tending to be greasy unless it is thickened with flour to bind the fat.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Grilled Wild Goose with Spaetzel

Ingredients:
1 or 2 goose breast filets
hot red pepper, fresh cracked black pepper, fresh garlic, Nice red wine, olive and sesame oil
Portabella mushrooms cut into bite-size chunks, Red and yellow sweet bell peppers, butter, juice of 1 lemon, tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 box spaetzel (any good supermarket will have it).

First, get the goose...:D

Sprinkle filets generously with pepper (red and black). Pierce deeply with fork. You can cut each into one or two thin steaks.

Place filets in dish with garlic, wine, and teriyaki sauce.

Let soak in fridge for 1-2 hours.

Prepare spaetzel to be finished at same time as meat.

In cast iron skillet, heat enough oil in a hot pan to keep meat from sticking.

Grill meat until medium rare. DO NOT OVER-COOK! Internal temp should not exceed 130. Cook the peppers and mushrooms, too.

Dump in the marinade after the meat is seared on both sides.

Set done meat aside and keep warm. Immediately put butter, lemon, and Worcestershire sauce in pan. Stir together, scraping pan bottom with spatula.

After this cooks for about one glass of wine, add cooked spaetzel, stir all together.

Place spaetzel in shallow serving dish or plate. Slice meat thinly if you haven’t cut them into steaks, place on top of spaetzel.

Serve with a veggie and cranberries.

Other game can be substituted for goose.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Simple & Fast.. Goose Breast

Get McCormick's Grill Master " Zesty Herb" marinade packet in the spice section of grocery store. Follow package directions, let sit for at least an hour, and grill to medium rare...this is the easiest and the goose is exce;;ent. After trying this receipe, I will be happy to trade goose breast for rock fillets anytime.. lately goose hunting is interupting my fishing schedule.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts