Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Looked at the baords and didn't know where to put this for the benefit of most, so I put it here. This could be very impotant for all on the board here... :eek:

Some things we take for granted when having our computer serviced. That's honesty by the servicing agency!

Check out what happened to this guy at Best Buy.............. and it's not only them either!! :eek:

http://redtape.msnbc.com/2006/06/one_year_ago_ha.html#comments

·
Registered
485 Posts
that is spooky...i don't buy extended warrenties and change my own hard drives...i hace heard of govnernment computers sold surplus with info intact...be aware that even if you format and wipe the drive, someone may still be able to get info from it...

·
Registered
75 Posts
My easy solution when I recently got rid of an old computer - I personally watched it get mashed in a compactor that did, in fact, mess it up right good.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Not cool!!! However, there is a solution. I solved all of my computer problems (spyware, bots, adware, pop-ups, viruses) about 2 yrs ago!!!! Macintosh... I will never buy a PC again!!!

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
some people i swear....glad i never been in a best buy......

where do/have you guys bought your computers from ? my last 2 were made for me by tigerdirect ? do most y'all buy locally or over the internet ?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Tiger direct owns. I have been buying parts from them for years and have built my computers strictly from parts bought there. Always good to take a good splitting maul to your hardrive when done if you dont know how to erradicat information on the drive.

--John

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
some people i swear....glad i never been in a best buy......

where do/have you guys bought your computers from ? my last 2 were made for me by tigerdirect ? do most y'all buy locally or over the internet ?
I buy a lot of my equipment also from Tiger Direct. My computer is not a "boxed" name brand. It was custom built and I add and change items from time to time.

Also, there are programs available that will wipe your hard drive prior to disposal. These program are used by security agencies to protect information (can be found on the Internet); even though on the news lately it looks like it's not happening. Best way to dispose of your hard drive is by some of the methods mentioned above. I take mine apart, scratch up the the platters (disks), and bend them up pretty good before disposal. Sounds like a lot of work, but considering it's only done once every few years, it's really not a problem.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have had a Mac since 1986. Since that time I have never had to deal with a virus and have had two hardware issues. The first was a failed floppy drive which I had to replace. The other was a monitor that Apple replaced even though it was 1 month out of warranty. Love my Mac!

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm glad to hear that all the Apple users have had no crashes, no viruses, and no worms. However, I think the point of this thread has been missed by the Apple guys. The point here is to take care of your computer so that no else gets your hard drive with your personal information on it; to make sure the hard drive is either removed and given to you to dispose of (takes about five minutes on a IBM PC type computer) or that you take the drive out and dispose of it properly.

In the meantime, even with my no good non-Apple PC I've had no problems either. :D

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I hear you ST and you are correct about caring for your old drives. My point was that switching to an Apple virtually eliminates many, many problems which may cause one to take their computer in for servicing in the first place. I understand a hard drive failure is a hardware failure and certainly Macs are not immune to that but being able to surf the net and open e-mail attatchments without fear of virures, bots and spy-ware is really, really sweet. Apples work so much smoother than PCs their applications work together seamlessly (itunes, iphoto, imovie) and their OS is hands down superior to anything Windows offers. For the end user who likes to mess with photos, music and movies surf the internet and recieve e-mail an Apple simply cannot be beat. Not to mention just look at the iMac, no tower to take up space and the active matrix, widescreen LCD monitor is purely amazing. Once you buy a Mac you won't ever go back they are AWESOME.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts