Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are alot of fellow Dog owners out there ... some new.. .. some old
Today I had to make probably the most difficult decision in my life
After 14 years of Loyal love from my Black Lab Sampson, I am the one to decide that my most loyal friend must be put down.
I am dying here .. and I am lost for words to explain my emptyiness
Sampson has been nothing more than spectacular to me and my family.
He was such a good dog that I can not explain it unless you knew him personally
While this past year has been especially difficult to me with the passing of my father, this one brings it all back. During school Sampson would be with me all the time while I studied and partied... Yes he could pick up chicks. He was so easy to take care of it was unreal. Totally LOW Maitenance
I can remember my first job out of college and traveling for weeks to months at a time. Sampson would stay at my parents during my absence and him and my retired father became very close. I can still remember many days coming to pick him up and the both of them would be napping completely covered in sawdust on my mothers favorite couch and carpet. My father was really big into carpentry and once he retired, Sampson was his daily companion in the wood shop. I can still remember clear as a bell my father calling me and saying 'Do you know what Sampson did today?? That crazy dog did..... etc... etc.."When I received another job locally, my mother asked me to please let Sampson stay as much as possible at the house. She knew how much he had become to my father. It was back & forth for a few years , but probably best for him. He was one of the four Amigos between my brothers dogs... another lab, a rotty and a red healler(sp) .... 2 have past before him and now he will be joining them. Last night after a lengthy talk at 11pm with his vet, he told me that I have done everything modern medicine would allow.Today I took him down to the creek one final time and I couldn't believe that he actually went in the water up to his knees as if to say good bye to one of his favorite places. He is tired and I have been strickened with guilt trying to figure out if there is soemthing else I can do. Opening Day 2007 I will lay Sampson to rest in White Marsh Creek where he enjoyed many years of his life.

Thanks for letting me vent

Jack

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
Vent all you want, very tough to have such a good friend and to have to let him go.

·
Premium Member
26,179 Posts
If it's any help-I had to put mine down this year.Still hurts and I even call him now/then forgetting he's gone.The vet asked me if I knew why dogs only live 10-15 years.I replied -Because they run around so much.The vet said no-it's because if they lived any longer we wouldn't be able to stand the pain of them passing.Ain't no shame crying for a dog-take care. Skip

·
1,295 Posts
My heart goes out to you

I had a big black lab, Maverick, that Ihad cancer several years ago and I too had to make that decision. I'm sure Sampson took many jorneys with you during your lives together. This is the most diffucult journey he will ever make. Please be there with him when the final monent comes. I sat on the floor holding Maverick (165lbs.) until at the vet did what had to be done. I cried like a baby until he took his last breath. I'l never regret being with my buddy during his final trip. You won't either. Good luck on your deicson my friend. I heart and throughts go out to you. This all happened to me and Maverick a long time ago and I'm tearing up writing to you.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
I know what you mean,I had to put down our dog also after 15 yrs. One of the hardest thing I had to do,but you don't want to see them suffer either,so you have to do what is best for them.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I had one of the best quail hunting and field trial dogs ever to put feet on the ground. Most people say "you only get one great one in your lifetime". It was one of the hardest days of my life to have him "put down". He rests on one of his favorite quail farms on the Eastern Shore. Sorry to hear about your impending loss; but thanks for reminding me of my best friend.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
6,372 Posts
Jack I could not be more sorry for you as you know I have one also close to my Heart.That day will be hard and gets sooner each year esp. w/ all the cysts he now has.Tough doing stairs but he manages but for how long is anyones guess.He still acts Puppylike when around the neighbors new puppies or when devouring a Perch head.After time maybe a New pup.I Love em all Jack so I do also share in your loss.Celebrate the Good memories he left your family.Best to you.

·
Registered
987 Posts
It's hard to type and wipe away tears at the same time. That totally sucks!
We all here are dog lovers and feel your sorrow.
Very sorry Jack:(
I got goose bumps reading this
Vent all you want
I'll probably have to take a week off work.
Take it easy

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
While I know it seems very dark right now you need to know it is the last act of kindness you could give your beloved Sampson. Be strong as he will sense something wrong if you dont. Tell him you love him and hold him tight. It is a very peaceful process. Peaceful but not easy. I know because I was there myself with the first lady of my life seven years ago. I cant tell you what day I was married or my kids birthdays, but I know the day I lost her. It will be difficult for awhile, but it will get easier. While you might not think so now, there is a puppy over the horizon that will make you feel whole again. It will never replace Sampson but will take you further on the same journey.Your post brought me to tears my brother, may time ease your pain.

Jeff

·
Registered
703 Posts
Pain

I feel your pain. :(
A couple years ago I had to put my dog down. She was about 17 years old.
She had lost control of her bladder, was deaf and her hips were just about
shot. I sobbed all the way to the pound and after giving them her leash
I cried my eyes out. I still think about her but time does heal wounds.
Don't get a dog to replace your lost friend for a while. No dog will ever
replace an old dog but you can get a new companion.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Jack, unfortunatley, been there and done that. s you stated, one of the hardest decisions you';ll ever have to make. But in the end the choice was correct. Miss our 14 Sheppard terrible, and that was three years ago. Bought a " replacement" but its just not the same. Fills the void physical, but never mentally. Life goes on. Hope you took pleanty of pictures. I commisioned an artist to paint Zach for my wifes 40th birthday present, she'll be overwelmed in so many ways. Hopefully the memories will keep your friend alive for years...

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Jack with out a doubt it is one of the hardest decision anyone has to make I know I see it every day in my line of work and it does not get any easier. My best to you and family and just remember all the memories that you had with him.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I put my weimaraner, Rocky down on Nov 21st, 2006... he was with me for 16 years, 6 months, and 15 days. I got him as a freshman in college. I am now 35. We hunted in and fished all over the East Coast. He was a constant companion. I know exactly how you feel. I just try to remember him being young and healthy. Sounds like you did what's best for him. That understanding will come with time. I know Rocky would have done it for me if I were in the same shape. I am thankful to have had him. I wish you the best in dealing with this. They are nothing less than family and the great ones change your life.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Jack,

I'm sorry to hear that the day had to come brother. I feel for you. Theres a time for everything, good and bad. If I know you, I would have to say its a small wonder your lab survived the college parties. Must have been one tough dog.... When I get back to town, we'll go "take one for the team" in memory of the pooch... Keep your head up Jack.

Travis

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Jack --

My sincere sympathy. I haven't had a dog in 5 years 'till I got Crockett this year. It's taken me exactly 2 months to get extremely attached. I can't imagine how it must feel after 14 years. I've lost both parents, and no, it's never the same grief. But there's a different kind of hollow when you lose a dear pet. I echo what others have said, hang on to your memories. -Shawn

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Wow, I know how you feel. I have done it and its a very hard thing to do, they are part of the family. Its a feeling you cant describe.

·
Registered
505 Posts
This has always helped me cope

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
Shady, that's horrible, partner. Death stinks, I've lost a bunch, two legged, four legged, it all stinks...Here's hoping you and your old friend find better days ahead...

·
Registered
503 Posts
dam jack, this stuff make any man cry! turn loose of the guilt and vent all ya want ya lost family/buddy.when i put my springer jill down due to hip disp. i quit qail hunting some 25 yr's ago,it took a pc of my heart. i still don't bird hunt. get another dog when ready, hang on to past good times and start making new one's. may you find your peace jack. bdog

·
Registered
466 Posts
I had a partner who had been a K9 officer for a good many years. Now there is an emotional attachment. I was at the point of having to put down my dog and was going through all the same feelings. He said to me, "that dog has been good to you, now you be good to that dog". That piece of advice helped me greatly. Granpa

1 - 20 of 28 Posts