Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got a lathe for Xmas and have been working on plug making. Below are pics of two darter style plugs that are meant to be trolled deep behind a parachute rig or other weight. The plugs are weighted for nose bite and so they track straight. The atomic is in the pics as comparison. I need to install bigger hooks and larger tails. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You don't need to do anything other than go to Ebay and offer them for half the price of Tomics. I'm impressed.
They take too long to make to be worth it.

I make them for fun. I am giving a buddy of mine some this weekend for him to try out in the Ocean. I live in Gloucester and the trolling bite is not here.

These are out of poplar which does not hold up well. They are only prototypes for now. I also have a variety of metal and lexan lips on order to make divers and swimmers in addition to some surface poppers I have been working on.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, 2 mins into my first troll of the second plug I turned, (up here in Gloucester) I hooked a fish. She got off but I did get to see her. This was on an unweighted darter that was running about 2 feet below the surface.

Thanks for the comments guys. I will happily trade some for beer :)

·
Registered
406 Posts
Those look great. I love fishing and catching on stuff I've made myself. Those look better than the tomics IMO.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
neat stuff- my Dad has every tool,machine and piece of equipment that shop smith has ever made...he has 3 lathes and turns wood daily......un believe the stuff he makes

·
Registered
406 Posts
Once again those look great... Sierra Nevada in the background, family guy on the notebook looking like my bench... Those plugs will catch fish no doubt... I see you customized a Sweedes Mojo also and cut the hair off... We've been pouring our own mojos now for a few years and I have several different molds and different shaped heads plus we built a small fluid bed to powder coat them... One pouring will pay for the mold and if you don't mind a little shop time you can save money and hook your friends up... I don't have a lathe but maybe I'll have to get one to play with in the future... Keep up the good work... When you say you'll trade for some beers I'm assuming you want some good brews??? I'll put some pics up of some of my latest creations when I get a minute...

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
It's fun stuff, Guys. I make mine out of cedar. And yes they take too long to make to make a viable business....

That middle one caught 100 fish one weekend last summer. bigguns.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Good work fellas. Here's a few my brother made for me a few years back. I didn't want to goober up his good work, so I hung 'em on the wall of fame.......

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I use to make my own hand carved when I was in the scouts (back when God was a small child) The only problem I found was that if you don't get the eye screw in deep enough and secure it with some serious epoxy they sometimes pull out. A friend of mine now turns his own on a lathe and uses a bit of 5200 to secure the eye screw in place. He says it doesn't crack like epoxy eventually will.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Interesting. I use epoxy, and haven't had a failure yet. I use 1" screw eyes. Not a fan of thru wiring - Too hard to seal that wood from the inside out and more work....

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Once again those look great... Sierra Nevada in the background, family guy on the notebook looking like my bench... Those plugs will catch fish no doubt... I see you customized a Sweedes Mojo also and cut the hair off... We've been pouring our own mojos now for a few years and I have several different molds and different shaped heads plus we built a small fluid bed to powder coat them... One pouring will pay for the mold and if you don't mind a little shop time you can save money and hook your friends up... I don't have a lathe but maybe I'll have to get one to play with in the future... Keep up the good work... When you say you'll trade for some beers I'm assuming you want some good brews??? I'll put some pics up of some of my latest creations when I get a minute...
JGray,

Can you please email me? I am in desperate search of poured and painted Mojos in various sizes. I want them bare so that we can tie them. Please email me with the price. I need some immediately.

[email protected]

Thanks!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Interesting. I use epoxy, and haven't had a failure yet. I use 1" screw eyes. Not a fan of thru wiring - Too hard to seal that wood from the inside out and more work....
Pax,

Nice plugs. I, too, like screw in eyes. I did some testing and, when epoxied, a 1" screw takes over 100lbs to fail.

Do you know of any suppliers in the area (SE VA) that sell Alaska Yellow Cedar?

Also, what do you use (onion bag, etc.) for the scale pattern?

D.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Email sent.. Give me a call... I just poured some a couple weekends ago so I have some untied heads on the bench right now...

·
Registered
491 Posts
LURES

OK-YA got me lickin' my chops over these nice lookin' MoJo's/ Bucktails.. Gotta have a couple to try......... I'm not w/ a comm. co., just one that likes to catch(and eat) .. So iffi'n ya got a lure (or two) to spare give me a call----- ps- these phony lookin' skirts haven't done a thing for me this season. Maybe it's the real hair that's the trick.. BOB---------------------------

1 - 20 of 55 Posts