Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a fishing question but hoped you guys could help me out. Taking a trip from MD down to the OBX next month with my family and was thinking about leaving early and spending a night in VA. Hampton/Williamsburg/Newport News area seems to be on the way and I was just looking to see if there were any areas a family should avoid while stopping for the night.

Thanks for any info you can give.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Avoid Hampton/Newport News!Good place to get robbed,stabbed,shot...ect. York County and points north are your best bet!
Its not that bad, Id recommend Williamsburg bc it is quick and easy to get on and off the interstate plus pretty cool to walk around if you haven't seen the area before. Couple good clean hotels on bypass road.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Yorktown are is nice too. Of course the Revolutionary War Battlefield, good food at the Yorktown Pub, nice beach front! Hotel selection may not include what you are looking for.

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Take the scenic route down the eastern shore (route 13) and cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (entrance on the eastern shore of Va), Stop at the 1st island fishing pier, great place to check out the ships and boats passing by. Hang a left at the end and head down shore drive to Va Beach towards Seashore/1st landing state park, (good camping area), Ft Stroy, Atlantic Ave and Rudee inlet. Great food, hotels, street performers on the strip from 35th street all the way to 1st street. There is a 2- story Hilton on 31st and Atlantic. They have outdoor music t 31, 24 and 17 street. 31st to 1st is the strip full of shops, hotels, and great beach. Area to avoid is 15 to 22 street, crowds get a little crazy near the bars. 1/2 mile over Rudee inlet (1st street) is the marine aquarium. At Rudee inlet is off and near shore charter fishing, jet ski rentals, and parasailing. If you want some great food and are near Rudee inlet, try out Big Sams, looks like a dump, but people are lined up out the door.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Avoid Hampton/Newport News!Good place to get robbed,stabbed,shot...ect. York County and points north are your best bet!
WOW I've lived in Hampton 48 years never been shot , stabbed, or robbed just lucky I guess. By the way it seems to me I heard York county police just shot and killed some guy the other day just sayin'. so let's not paint with to large of a paint brush shall we. thanks :nono:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Terry.... ssssshhhh. Don't tell him about Big Sam's. Thats a local place. Just a dump.. no reason to go there. And the parking is tough....

Lololol

Steve

·
Flounder -r- Fluky
5,925 Posts
Riverwalk Landing in Yorktown, Va ...... 15min from I64

http://www.yorkcounty.gov/tourism/ThingstoDo/RiverwalkLanding.aspx

shops, restaurants, Ben and Jerry's , short sail boat cruises during the day and sunset, Duke Of York Hotel right on the beach or there are 3 B&B's within walking distance of the beach. If you plan it right they have live outdoor bands on Thursday nights "shagging on the riverwalk".
lots of history to see, check out the info on the above link.

Attachments

·
Registered
548 Posts
WOW I've lived in Hampton 48 years never been shot , stabbed, or robbed just lucky I guess. By the way it seems to me I heard York county police just shot and killed some guy the other day just sayin'. so let's not paint with to large of a paint brush shall we. thanks :nono:
Lets be fair, the guy he shot and killed was on the run from NN after a crime and had wrecked just inside the county line.... so that tally goes on the NN chalkboard.. just saying :yes::clapping2:

·
Registered
207 Posts
If yer smart, you'll take the Eastern Shore route. Way more easier drivin', better pit stops, and just plain mo better.
When I was OTR truckin', I always took the eastern shore route from Joisey and points north when headin home and picking up in Windsor.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Hyatt in Chesapeake. Its only a minute from 168 South w/toll . Huge shopping center you can walk to in 2 minutes lots of restaurant's. Next morning you jump on the expressway and you in NC in 30 minutes and 1 30 minutes from OBX depending on traffic

1 - 14 of 14 Posts