Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All --

Some of you who have read my other posts about my current engine situation may know that I just purchased a Johnson 120 25" shaft motor to swap the powerhead with my port motor which went out on me 2 weeks ago. My motors are both 20" shafts. Should I bother keeping the 25" shaft lower unit? I'm not sure how easy it is to change shaft lengths. The whole lower unit on this motor was just rebuilt. If it's hard/expensive to change the driveshaft length, I'll probably just ebay it.

Chris

·
Registered
543 Posts
does it have a spacer between the lower and middle housing making the lower unit same ?u may be able to switch shafts.show a picture

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Only difference is the longer shaft and a spacer that fits above the lower unit and the stem (part the power head is bolted to). It is very easy to pull down the lower unit and swap out the long shaft for the shorter one. If one is _REALLY_ lucky, you hold the lower unit exactly perpendicular, and gently slip the long shaft out and gently slip the short shaft in, you just _MIGHT_ keep the spacers in place and the splines to line up. Or take it to a shop and have them do it for some $$$.

Dave

aka

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
you can keep the 25" shaft unit & use it on the 20" motor by changeing the driveshaft & the shift shafts,,but the job is more involved than previously described here, the both lower units will have to be dissambled to remove the driveshafts, the bearing carrier & propshaft & reverse gear needs to come out & there is a nut on the botton of the drive shaft that needs to be removed before the drive shaft can be removed from the pinion gear, not a hard job , but you will have to do this on both units ,,time consuming and mabe a bit overwhelming for your average "driveway mechanic"

there was no spacers from the factory, the lower housings were different lengths,,there were some aftermarket longshaft extension kits available that included spacers but don't know for sure if one was ever made specifically for this motor.

IMHO better to sell the 25" shaft whole & buy a whole 20" if you need to replace the lower unit in the future

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks RJ. That's kinda what I figured. With the prices on old motors/motor parts, it's often cheaper to just buy the whole assembly or a whole powerhead, etc than paying a mechanic $75-100 an hour in labor to perform the necessary repair. I'll probably sell this 25" shaft unit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts