Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know most of us on the board have pets who we'd hate to lose because of something they ate so I wanted to post this info in case some hadn't seen it. :((

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17650075/?GT1=9145

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/Press_Recall_03162007.pdf

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_dog.html

Best,
Jim

P.S. The manufacturer said "the recalled products were made using wheat gluten purchased from a new supplier, since dropped for another source, spokeswoman Sarah Tuite said. Wheat gluten is a source of protein."

FYI - Wheat can potentially be contaminated with Aflatoxin: Aflatoxin producing members of ''Aspergillus'' are common and widespread in nature. They can colonize and contaminate grain before harvest or during storage. Host crops are particularly susceptible to infection by ''Aspergillus'' following prolonged exposure to a high humidity environment or damage from stressful conditions such as drought, a condition which lowers the barrier to entry.

The native habitat of ''Aspergillus'' is in soil, decaying vegetation, hay, and grains undergoing microbiological deterioration and it invades all types of organic substrates whenever conditions are favorable for its growth. Favorable conditions include high moisture content (at least 7%) and high temperature.

Crops which are frequently affected include [[cereal]]s ([[maize]], [[sorghum]], [[pearl millet]], [[rice]], [[wheat]]), [[oilseed]]s ([[peanut]], [[soybean]], [[sunflower]], [[cotton]]), [[spice]]s ([[chile pepper]]s, [[black pepper]], [[coriander]], [[turmeric]], [[ginger]]), and tree [[nut (fruit)|nut]]s ([[almond]], [[pistachio]], [[walnut]], [[coconut]], [[brazil nut]]).

High-level aflatoxin exposure produces an acute necrosis, cirrhosis, and carcinoma of the liver exhibited by hemorrhage, acute liver damage, edema, alteration in digestion, and absorption and/or metabolism of nutrients.

The toxin can also be found in the milk of animals which are fed contaminated feed.

If you remember last year, a lot of dogs died due to another type of toxin contamination in food - vomitoxin, which is associated with corn.

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
This thread, which by the way is quite helpful, led to what I knew was going to be one of those discussions...

"Honey, what food do we have for the cat and dog?"

You mean right now?

"Uhhhh, yeah, right now would be fabulous... (Ughhh, no, sometime back in the Fall of 1985. I need 1985 figures)"

We have Pedigree and Friskees...

"I see, good, no problem."

Why? What's wrong? (As she comes running into the Toxin Room, i.e., the room that houses the computer and my dead ass...)

"There was a recall, no biggie, our stuff isn't on the list."

A recall! What for, what does it do?

"It makes them explode, honey. People's pets are exploding all over their kitchen floors all across America..."

WHAT! It does not...Make them explode?

"Yup, says so right here, your dog or cat may explode...Sheesh, how the hell should I know what it does? Presumably it makes them sick, we don't have any of the stuff anyway..."

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent brothers,
I better run out and see if there's any left to feed SWMBO's stupid mut Lucky and the 3 stinking rotten cats:D

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
We feed our dogs dry food made without grains due to one of our mutts sensitve stomach. Thanks for the post.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Greybeard,,,all I can say is you had better pray thet SWMBO doesn't learn how to get on this board and lurk....LOL

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Mine is safe...not on the list...but thanks anyway Harlan.

I hadn't heard a thing about this.

Ed

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I read about that this morning couldn't belive all the different brands of pet food that company makes...my cat food is on the list but my dog food isn't so no worrys here:))

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Thanks for the post Harlan,

Before reading this thread I fed my dog Nutro's Natural Choice Lamb & Rice. The date on the can thankfully is not on the recall list.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts