Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holy ****!!! :eek2:
I thought I’d see pigs flying first. :yes: Then I thought April fools :eek: !
But I’ll be damn, Verizon wireless is not the Grinch I thought they were! :clapping2:
Yesterday Verizon Wireless UNLOCKED their gps feature on the Blackberry 8330 Curve and the Pearl 8130 only.

I am looking at this as the greatest up-grade they have ever given their customers. :thumbup:
I tested it out this morning and it was GREAT.
I walked around my neighborhood and it told me how far I walked how fast I was going and where the hell I was!
This may an error on Verizon’s part but I hope not!

To activate your GPS:

1. You must have software v4.5.0.77 on your blackberry (up-date software)
2. On your blackberry desktop click on the “OPTIONS” icon.
3. In “OPTIONS” click on “GPS”
4. Next to “GPS Services” click on “911 only” and switch it to “Location On”
5. Back all the way out to your desktop on your Blackberry.
6. Look for the “Maps” icon and click on it.
7. Once in maps click on the blackberry Menu Button.
8. Once your menu come up click on find location and YEEEEEEEEHHAAAAAAA, there u are!

Great Feature! Could save your A$$ on the water one day.

Way to Go Verizon Wireless!, Thanks for the early Xmas gift :clap:

Oh yeah, Interest rates are dropping big time, need to refinance or buy a house call me, please. Sorry for the cheap plug...times are tough :D .

Thank you

·
Registered
199 Posts
ill never buy another phone other than a blackberry ever again...they're worth every penny. i have the 8330 curve from sprint.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Doesn't work on my 8330 this morning. Find location only gives me the option to find a location that I either enter or select from the address book. Am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
nice post

I saw this a couple weeks ago when I updated the software but didn't take the time to try it out, thanks for taking the time

on the Pearl:
To verify software
Options>About You can get the upated software of Verizon's website

-Options>Advanced Options>GPS GPS Data source = Device GPS, GPS Services = Location On
-Save
-Close options

Open Maps
Options>Start GPS Navigation - shows current location and tracks movement
Options>Find Location>Where I am - shows current location

Not sure how accurate it is or if it's using cell tower triangulation or actual GPS sattelites, it showed me about 3 blocks from where I actually am. Regardless, nice backup for other GPS systems.

tight lines!!

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
Alberto,
How do you make sure/get the most up to date software?
Thanks
Mark
check the about menu (post above) to verify version

here is the site to get updated software

BlackBerry® Software Updates

you will need the desktop manager to do this and USB connection to your computer

Also, I had to re-activate the enterprise activation through work, it wipes the blackberry clean during the update. Your IT department can do this if your blackberry is linked to a work outlook account.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
That is cool all I have is this base model iPhone

·
Registered
552 Posts
Are you guys talking about the gps turn by turn feature.
I've used that many times and it knows exactly where you are

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I've got the Pearl on the Sprint network. The Sprint "Simply Everything" program is terrific. 99 bucks monthly for phone, web, text, gps... I'm not missing coverage I had using ATT and get coverage on the water also.
I use the map feature and it pegs me. You might have to go into the menu to options, advanced options, and turn on the gps.
While in the map program I have a compass, I can send my location using email and text and also get directions.
Pretty cool. Good post dog:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Was thinking about getting a Blackberry Curve in the next couple of weeks. You guys are helping make my decision a little easier.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
On my boat, I’ve been using a GPS mapping application on my Motorola Q global (AT&T) all year. It works great – Shows a map of where I am, shows my path, has unlimited waypoint capabilities. I can choose a waypoint (buoy, location, etc.) and the screen will show how far it is, my speed, and the direction I need to go to get there. The split screen feature shows navigation data and the map at the same time. It has a man overboard feature I use to mark a school of fish quickly so I can easily go back to them.

The program I am using is free (GPSVP) but there are a host of other low cost marine GPS location programs designed for Windows Mobile phones like the Motorola Q.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I rely on my garmin on the boat for GPS but weather is a whole other story. I use this program on my blackberry (phone before) and it has saved me many times on the water. I can't afford a $3K radar so paying a few bucks a month for several months is well worth it.
When i hear the radio alert for a storm, i look at the doplar radar on my blackberry and see where the storm cells are, heading, and speed. From there i determine the best course of action.

My-Cast - Weather on your mobile phone.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
3,364 Posts
Little off topic but I have te new Blackberry Storm by verizon... it is amazing... best phone I ever had.. .great big screen and easy to zoom on weather radars... Ill have to look into this GPS feature

1 - 19 of 19 Posts