Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to install Window's Vista on my Desktop. if all goes well, i will be back tonight. If not I will be hootin' and hollerin' from my work computer tomorrow....:helpsmilie:

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
250 Posts
YIKES:sweatdrop:
Let us know how it goes...I for one am gonna wait for a couple of service packs to come out and fix some of the holes first!!!
good luck.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
No way would I do it until Vista's been out for at least a year. New Microsoft releases have been well known in the past to be very buggy.

From what's I've heard, it might not install if you're installing on a none Vista compliant machine.

It would sux if you wipe out a hard drive for a clean install to later find Vista is a no-go.

- Dae

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I'm parting company with MS with the end of life of XP. I'm in the progress of migrating to Linux--Fedora Core 6 for now. It seems to have all the necessary functionality for a home / SOHO system without most of the virus, spyware, and other malware problem. Not to say it is immune from attacks, but Microsoft's Active-X is a real vulnerability.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Save yourself the headache and dont install it- Still has way too many kinks in it-I had to reload XP on mine after getting Vista up- The grass was not greener on the other side for me- hopefully it will work for you!:helpsmilie:

·
Registered
708 Posts
I wouldn't upgrade unless there is some compelling reason that you must. VISTA is going to tax your hardware. be careful or you will be stuck at work until VISTA SP1. :nono:

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I have been testing Vista on a few test machines at work. You might want to make sure that all of your applications are compatible with Vista before you upgrade. You may find yourself having to buy new versions of your applications after the upgrade. Have you seen the Mac/PC commercial
. When I saw it, I starting laughing because it was so true. You get prompted to approve something all the time. I would wait until at least Service Pack 1 or even better 2. At least it doesn't seen to be like another Windows ME. XP gets the job done for me. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright, I'm back from the 7th level of Microsoft Hell.:D All in all I would say it went as smoothly as it could have. Let me start by saying the only reason I even considered the upgrade is because the computer was built for Vista. I bought the computer from Dell so it was Vista compliant from the get go. Normally I do subscribe to the "If it ain't broke..." school of thought. The only bump in the road so far was the program for my TV remote. What can I say, I'm a teckno weenie.:clap: :clap: Everything else on the computer was OEM software, and all my media and other important data was on an external harddrive that I disconnected before doing the upgrade.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts