Registered
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help getting rid of a virus in Windows please call me 757 407 5812

Thanks Lou

·
Banned
350 Posts
Symantec.com is the place to try first. If you can get there. Its the Norton site. They can scan your computer and recommend a course of action. I just did it last week. Those adult sites can hurt you sometimes.:computer::nono:

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Lou.....I think its a fish overload issue....all those fish pics you have in there are killing your MAC......:D

·
Premium Member
7,664 Posts
Lou:
I use AVG from Grisoft softwear and it has worked well above all the other brands IMHO.

They have a free edition as well as par versions. They all work exceptionally well. I had a virus and Dell told me I would have to reformat my hard drive to get rid of it, but I used the AVG and it erradicated it with no problems.

Here is the link: AVG Free Advisor - AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition

They also have Spyware protection: AVG Free Advisor - AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition

And another is the Root Kit protection which is also important to run periodically: AVG Free Advisor - AVG Anti-Rootkit Free

If you want to see any of these first hand, call me I have them loaded on my computers and use them regularly.

Good Luck

·
Registered
365 Posts
Virus

Sometimes, the only way is to completely wipe out your hardrive and start all over. I know it is a pain in the butt, but that's the nature of the beast. Good luck.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Buy an I-Mac

·
Registered
325 Posts
Lou: I'm a Software Engineer and agree with Lucian. AVG is very good product and is free.

1- Download it and install it.
2- Then shut down all your programs and use it to Scan your HD.
3- It should detect the infected files and quarintine (sp?) them.

If the alleged virus has corrupted any of your OS files, namely dll's then you may be forced to do a reinstall. Hopefully not!

Best Regards,
Fletcher

PS - Please feel free to call me if you would like - 292-7702.
PSS - Engineers can't spell.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cameraguy that's funny it is on an iMac!!!!! I am running Windows XP pro on my iMac so I can run my Mapsource software for my GPS!!!

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Microsoft has free scanners and help on the three top viruses here.

Windows Live OneCare safety scanner: Free online tool for PC health and safety
Interesting...my son called from college a couple of hours ago to complain about a virus. He was required to show up at campus with MS Vista. I loaded him up with a good anti-virus tool, configured his OS for automatic updates, and configured MS Defender for automatic updates. The university scans for malicious content at the gateways. Even with that, he got something.

If MS did true Systems Engineering before they slung the code, we wouldn't be dealing with this virus mess. But...the consumer is the Beta tester for them.

I fired Bill Gates in my home and now use Linux. #2 son goes to college with a load of Linux.

Dave

aka

·
Registered
950 Posts
LOL Dave. One of the problems I have seen with some people is they have a tendency to ignore the pop up saying you might not want to do this when they find something they really want to see they accept it anyways despite the popup. It is usually that or opening up every email that gets to their inbox is the culprits. As Far as Bill goes, mozilla is better than IE an not as much of a target.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Purchase Trend-micro PC Cillin Internet Security. I had some infections a few years ago and went with this product. I have been clean since, or at least I think I am. At the time it was the #1 rated virus tool out there by PC Magazine. Ad-aware is a free program that I also run. Windows has a "restart from and earlier date" function under system tools that may also fix some of the problems you are having.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Ditto what Lucian and Fletcher said about AVG. I just had to have someone come out this week because the COX security suite I was using allowed over 150 virus's, malware and spyware through.

My system was corrupted and I had to do a recovery but the guy recommended AVG and that's what I'm usuing now (free version). According to him the COX program is junk and now I believe it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts