Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang - Is there a good site out there that can give the real skinny on top deals out there? Brands to avoid?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I dont know about a website to steer you towards... but I highly recommend a ToughBook (Panasonic) if you can afford one. Super nice features, and extremely durable. I am outside most of the time, and the screen can still be seen even in the sunlight. There are too many features to list, I would just suggest that you give them a look, especially, if you are like me, and might not be using the equipment under optimal conditions all the time. I love mine, but I will warm you, they are pricey. Best of luck

Tim
DISCLAIMER- I do not work for or represent Panasonic, this is strictly my personal opinion based on my experiences.

·
Premium Member
2,634 Posts
i think i would buy at Costco, 2 year warranty, no questions, and they have real people for tech assistance and you can communicate with them. Prices? i think tey are pretty good, but i'm not a techy.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
If you know someone at a University - their plans on Dell and Mac's are usually top notch (my sister just did one). Needs to purchased through that person though.

Otherwise, you can periodically check these websites:

Ben's Bargains - Bargains, Coupons, Freebies
hot-deals - constantly updated with the best deals

Be careful though, sometimes the "great deals" are just a large percent off a jacked up price - usually though they are good. Check the discussions and do some research on prices before you buy. Also, don't buy from shady looking websites, look for buys from the manufacturer such as Dell or IPM or the Apple Store or something.

These sites are good for getting deals on all kinds of things too - toys, electronics, shoes, etc.

A top notch computer related website that I use for parts and accessories is

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Their customer service of off the hook good (at least for me and all the people I know who have purchased through them). Friend got a T-shirt, bumper sticker, and other nick-nacks just for writing a thank you email when they delivered something overnight even though she only selected 5-7 standard ground or something.

bob

·
Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com
1,109 Posts
I just bought a decent laptop from Dell... Got a decent coporate discount. If I was to do it again I would buy a MAC. Nothing wrong with the deal from Dell, and I like the laptop... but after buying it I used a MAC and was blown away.

Do yourself a favor and at least go to an APPLE store and test drive one...

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
After a dozen years of saying I'd never do it, I switched to a Mac this year. It does everthing I like better pictures, music, websites, etc. Big plus... NO SPYWARE and no operating system crashes.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
I will own nothing but Dell. I’m currently running a Dell Latitude D620 with about a ½ million miles on it, literally. ;-)

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the cool links, Gang. Lot's to consider out there.

It's funny to see all the Mac endorsements - I ran a mac for years in the 80's right alongside my PC. Loved it. Groundbreaking as always.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Unless you are a techy/IT guy, BUY AN APPLE. Apple computers/laptops are great for all of us who don't speak in binary for fun. I deal with techies and IT gurus all day long, and don't ever for a minute try to keep up or understand it all. I used to operate on a PC and still do at work.... can be too involved just doing simple tasks. I operate a Mac at home and will never own anything different. The Apple Geniuses at the Apple store never assume that you know anything, so dealing with them is always on my level. And the computers work in the same way... simple and easy.

Just my preference... and as said below, you owe it to yourself to stop by an Apple store, not a big retailer, buddy up with an Apple Genius, and mess around with a macbook for a few...

-Shane

·
Registered
342 Posts
I am a techie and I would say if Apple works for you than do it, but in my opinion they are way overpriced. It used to be that the Apple OS only ran on proprietary hardware but now it will run on anything. You can get 2 computers/laptops for the price of 1 Apple. They also store much of everyones favorite files (music and video) in their own formats making it incompatible with non-ipod or iphone or Apple devices. Thats OK for the time being but if you ever switch, don't think that music that you bought from itunes is coming with you without a heavy investment in time and money. Apple can be great but just know what you are getting into.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
From the advice of my computer guy here at school - never ever buy a Sony laptop - they come with so much extra software the computer never runs right.

·
Registered
578 Posts
If you get something like the firedog or computer geek service at Circuit City or Best Buy they will clean out the garbage software for you when you first get the computer.
Mark

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Apple is the way to go hands down!!!!

P.S. Don't worry about what "you are getting in to" because after ten minutes with your new Mac you will never go back to a PC EVER!!!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts