Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking my wife for a short getaway weekend in Annapolis (15-minutes from our home, so that she can rush home every hour to check on the kids :rolleyes:).

We do this each Christmas season and choose a different restaurant for dinner each time. We've done Treaty of Paris, Pussers, the Italian Place next to McGarvey's, Middleton's, Galway Bay, Harry Brown's, Rockfish...I guess that covers it. I wanted to try some place new this year. Any recommondations? She'd like something cozy and "Christmassy," not a loud bar or minimalist new wave restaurant.

I was thinking maybe Ruth's Christ....it has a pix fixe special....any opinions on that (esp. on the value of the special)? We really used to like Treaty in the mid-90s, but then it went way down hill. However, about three years ago we tried it again and thought that it was back to its old, good self. I haven't heard anything since, however.

P.S.: We'd like to be downtown if possible (i.e.- not in Parole, the Mall, outer West Street). We're staying at the Westin, so inner West Street (Rams Head, etc.) is also a possibility.

·
Banned
34 Posts
Olearys in eastport is awsome but $ , on the cheap but still cool is Davis pub also in eastport. Ruth chris is $ and can be found in any city. ( it is a good steak don't get me wrong)

·
Registered
444 Posts
I eat out all the time in Annapolis. These are my favorites Ruth's Chris, Oleary's, Carpaccio, Tsunami, Cafe Bretton and if you want just a fun place then Davis's. Call me if you want any more ideas. Carpaccio is right across from the Westin and also Mortons is part of the hotel.

·
Registered
114 Posts
There is a Morton's Steak House in the Weston. Right across the lane from the Weston is Fado's, an Irish Restaurant which is great and a nice Italian Cuisine restaurant next to Fado's.

You can walk, it's 50' from the Weston.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Lewnes

If it is for steak...go to Lewnes on 4th and Severn in Eastport. Excellent every time I go and you will not be able to eat all the food they will give you. It's usually the locals' choice over Ruth Chris, too.
Have fun,
Bill (sat next to you at SRRKC MTG.)

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
We're going to Ruth's Chris tomorrow night for my wife's office Christmas party. They have had it there for the past 3 years. Good food and good service but... wow .. $$$$$ (glad it's not on my credit card :D)

Chart House used to be nice - but I have not been there recently. Seems like many of the really good restaurants have been going downhill in service and food quality in the past few years.

Sounds like you've already hit all the good spots in town.

You could go really high class and just bring her to the next SRRKC meeting :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
I work in Annapolis and my picks are Lemongrass (Killer Thai), Greystone Grill,Aqua Terra, Aromi de Italia, Joss (best sushi on the planet)
Luna Blu (excellent and intimate)
Enjoy,
Rick

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Carol's Creek is good and they have half price app's for Happy Hour if you're going during the week. The Italian Place right across from the Ram's Head is pretty good it's called Luna Blu. Now if you're going steakhouse Lewnes Steakhouse (right next to Ruth Chris' in Eastport) is MUCH better IMHO however plan on dropping about $175 with a bottle of wine or $135 without. I think the Rockfish (in Eastport too) is pretty good as well. I'm more of a pub grub kinda guy but I guess those accompanied by O'Leary's, Lemongrass, and Tsunami are my go-to if I'm, well let me rephrase that if my girl, is looking for something a little more then a burger. I personally don't think you can beat a good bacon cheddar burger no matter how good the other food is.

-Evans

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone. I recall Davis' during my younger days....we practically lived there one year. I think the chef we knew passed away...but they had surprisingly good food. It's probably not the place my wife has in mind this time, though.

Bill, thanks for the Lewnes reminder. I always forget about that place, but I've heard good things. BTW, sorry for not chatting with you more at the meeting. I got into a few good conversations and, before I knew it, the meeting was done. We'll talk more next time (or maybe fish, too!)

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BTW, one of my favorite casual restaurants has become Boatyard Bar & Grill in Easport (as all the SRRKC'rs know). We're looking to go a touch more formal this time, but it's a neat fisherman's place (the best collection of fish mounts I've seen...from Y. Perch and Pickerel to Tarpon and Black Drum...most locally caught).

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You could go really high class and just bring her to the next SRRKC meeting :D
I'm working on it!

We went to Chart House this summer. We used to love it. It's still ok but, frankly, we were disappointed. The steak was dry/overcooked and the prices had shot up. The service was excellent, as usual, and the decor/location is still great. I may be spoiled after someone took me out to Rays the Steaks in Arlington this summer. I realized then that I never actually had steak prior to that experience.

P.S.: This thread probably makes me sound like a foodie. Not counting work functions, we actually only eat out about once a month, if that, plus a trip to McDonalds for breakfast every other Sunday.:thumbup: That's why we try to put a lot of thought into choosing when we do decide to spring for a nice place.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Jeff - Authentic French Restaurant. Exceptional food and ambience. Not Annapolis but close. If you don't try this time... try it sometime. She will not be dissapointed. Jim

Cafe Bretton
849 Baltimore Annapolis Blvd
Severna Park, MD 21146
Phone: (410) 647-8222

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Lewnes' is a MUCH better steakhouse compared to Ruths Chris... and its like right across the street! Not cheap though....

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Sams Waterfront is a nice place

·
Registered
401 Posts
I agree with others - Choose Lewnes over Ruth's.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Jeff..Without a doubt , MORTONS is the best steak house around! Not only is the food GREAT but the service is top notch. They really bend over backwards to make you feel special. It's why my wife loves it for special occasions. It's one of the very few places where the prices are absolutely justified for the quality you receive. Hint, go to their website for coupon deals like two for one surf and turf!!!! It really makes it afforable.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts