Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any recommendations for paint/primer to be used on metal on the inside of the boat ? It's for the electronics box that sits above the console / right under the T-Top.

I was cleaning the boat up yesterday after a day of hunting for flatties and when I put the hose to the front of the electronics box several good sized pieces/sheets of paint came off (Down to bare metal.)

Just wondering if there's something out there that's better to use.........and/or if there are products to stay away from.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
I've used the epoxy spray paints with some degree of success, cleaned and primed real well and two coats of tp color

·
Registered
59 Posts
jkrobin3,
There is a product called ospho that is a metal primer.It has been used by watermen for years and is available @ Cooper's supply in down town Hampton.I have used this stuff alot.The back of the bottle says the following-Ospho is a primer- not a paint.You do not have to remove tight rust.Merely remove loose paint and rust scale,dirt,oil,grease and other accumulation with a wire brush- applya coat of ospho as it comes in the container-let dry over night, then apply the paint.When applied to rusted surfaces,ospho causes iron oxide [rust] to chemically change to iron phosphate- an inert, hard substance that turns the metal black.Where rust is exceedingly heavy, two coats of ospho may be necessary to thoroughly penetrate and blacken the surface to be painted.A dry, powdery,grayish-white surface usually develops.Brush off any loose powder before painting.One gallon covers 600 square feet.Recommended for use under oil base primer or paint.Test trial sample before using epoxy or latex base applications.A paint job will last much longer after an application of ospho because subsequent paint coating attaches itself so tightly that moisture and oxygen cannot attack the metal.OSPHO IS RECOMMENDED BY PAINT MANUFACTURERS.

RED EYE-24 TOPAZ

1 - 3 of 3 Posts