Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I wouldnt usually post something like this but when I got to thinking about it I couldnt think of a better group of people and unfortunetly the largest group of people I know that have a lot of experience with this, Cancer.

My father who is only 57 now got colon cancer a few years ago, he had the surgury and things were well for a couple years. Last winter the cancer came back, same place, surgury again, this time they could not get it all out, some is attached to the lower spine. Six months later gama knife/lazer surgury to get what was left.

Today we just found out the cancer is back again in the rectal area. May not be operable, we have an appointment Thursday to see what they can do.

They dont make men as good as my dad anymore. He truly is a rare breed. He cant seem to get a break. So I would appreciate any prayers for my father and any advice or Doctors you may have had good expericence with that he should try.

He is currently working with Johns Hopkins Doctors but I feel its time to go in a different direction with different Doctors and methods.

Thanks for the help!

Tim

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
Tim - your Dad has my prayers, lord know TF'ers were in my corner for my Thyroid surgery, best wishes.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hey Tim-

Sorry to hear of your fathers condition. I don't know if there may any help available in the area of clinical trials, but it may be worth checking out at http://clinicaltrials.gov/.

These studies are run through the NIH and are experimental in nature. You should search on terms such as colorectal, rectal, and colon, cancer to see what studies are being performed.

Then the process involves a selection of participants dependent on all types factors such as age, sex, family history, etc. Each study is different.

One thing to note too is that usually everything $$ wise (to my knowledge) is covered by the NIH study ... no cost to you or your father.

Hope things work out for you guys...
Regards, Tom (SD)

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Tim- I've been threw this with both my mother and father and my kids will prolly go threw it with me. Cancer is a terrible beast. My prayers certainly go out to your dad, you and your family. Hang in there brother and be there for him--------------------

·
Registered
80 Posts
prayers

Tim. I too went though cancer with my father. sounds alot like the same way too. Dad passed on to our Lord many yrs ago. I wish I knew then what I know now. That prayer goes alot farther that we can imagine..
You dad and your family will be in our prayers.. God bless

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.
Bill and Paula

·
Premium Member
26,249 Posts
57-way too young .:( Hopkins has a great world wide reputation.Hang in there and feel free to post or B-mail if you need to.Good group here.Best of luck. Skip

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Dont hesitate to call if you need anything. Lets hope for the best.

·
Registered
728 Posts
You and your father have my prayers. shoot me an email at cisham at severnrivertech.com. I have a friend who beat it by flying to the Bahamasfor injections. I'm not sayng it will work for your father but it worked for my friend. He also prayed alot, read his bible and did what he had to do as a christian man.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Tim, my prayers are with you for sure. Both my Dad (83) and my uncle (78) died of cancer. Your Dad has been through a lot already, but being younger can only help in his battle. Hopkins is one of the top 5 cancer centers in the country, so I think you are in good hands. Don't know if you want to travel for a second opinion, but I think I read that Sloane-Kettering Cancer Center in New York is the top rated unit in the U.S.

Stay strong and cherish every day.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Tim; You and your dad certainly have my prayers for I have been there. hang in there.

·
Registered
849 Posts
tim --

i'm truly sorry to hear about your dad. you are both in my thoughts. 57 is way to young; not that it really matters with cancer.

you might try Cancer Treatment Centers of America. they have a branch in philadelphia, and also pick up all expenses -- as far as i know. (a friend of mine almost had breast surgery there.) they have an excellent reputation. give me a day or two and i will try to get a website or telephone number.

best to you both.

b

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Hopkins saved my leg and my life 7 years ago when I was diagnosed with bone cancer in my leg. They are top notch but there is nothing wrong with getting other opinions and maybe another direction. Definitely check out the NIH to see if they offer anything that might help. They have saved alot of lives through experimentl trials. Probably the most inportant thing is to keep his spirits up. His will nd strength will be the most important part of the battle. Just try to keep him from seeing your pain. For me one of the hardest things was seeing the affect the cancer had on my family. Try to help him enjoy every day. None of us is gauranteed tomorrow!

·
Registered
503 Posts
sorry to hear russ.i only met your dad one time but he's the real deal .a son could not do better. i will put up a prayer for dad and you and whole family. i'll put that prayer power to work at my church as well. keep your family close buddy and draw on what you can. bill

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Tim, 57 is too young. My mother has been undergoing the gamma knife at JH the last several years for recurring brain tumors. We've had good success at JH but cancer is tough to stop. Hope it works out for you.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
You and your family will be in my prayers as well, I hope all goes well. 57 is way to young for something like that….

1 - 20 of 34 Posts