Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
831 Posts
I am sure this has been discussed before but new products emerge all the time.

Who has a recommendation? And why?

Thanks

Pat
Bubba hands down is the best. I had a Rapala that I wouldn't stab Osama with.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Sorry, can't help you here. I'm still old school with a regular fillet knife. I like having more control and not zipping through and missing meat. Especially when I fillet perch. I take my thumb and pull the meat off the rib cage instead of cutting through it.
You don't end up with those small bones to pick out.

Mike

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
I bought mine mainly to filet catfish. I too, use a regular filet knife on the other fish. I normally don’t keep catfish, but if gut hook one I didn’t want to waste it and would filet for people at my work.

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
Wood Font Rectangle Plant Metal
I had my friend Vince custom make me a filet knife. It's Damascus steel with a stabilized burled maple handle. It's very sharp and stays sharp. I never used an electric knife on meat or fish. His business is Dreamer Forge Knives and he is on Instagram and Facebook. Made me a chef knife too.
Tool Sleeve Line Font Natural material

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Beautiful knives Gary!

I have heard others say they use electric knives on Perch. Was thinking about getting one for that purpose since so much easier to fillet through the bones, then filet the rib cage off.

Pat

·
Registered
57 Posts
Beautiful knives Gary!

I have heard others say they use electric knives on Perch. Was thinking about getting one for that purpose since so much easier to fillet through the bones, then filet the rib cage off.

Pat

Pat,
I use an American Angler corded. They are fairly priced and do a great job on perch. They have a good trigger on them. I use a dexter to run the rib cages off afterwards. For perch I like the shorter 9" blades and always wear a sturdy rubber glove on my left hand.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
831 Posts
Beautiful knives Gary!

Pat
I found the Gopro so I'll shoot some video this weekend if we get some. I buzz through 30 in about 20 minutes. You really don't miss much meat. I cut right through the ribcage.

Reactions: pkeating

·
Registered
214 Posts
I found the Gopro so I'll shoot some video this weekend if we get some. I buzz through 30 in about 20 minutes. You really don't miss much meat. I cut right through the ribcage.

Was just gonna say the same thing....When I bring home a lot of perch, crappie etc... not only easer on the wrist and arms, but also on the back, standing there so long. With a little practice, you don't miss any more meat than with a regular knife.
As I mentioned above...great for other kitchen uses as well. Even used it on a birthday cake. Sawing back and forth with a regular knife can shred chicken and corned beef...smooth cuts with the cordless.

·
Premium Member
26,481 Posts
I use the Rapala heavy duty cordless. Comes with two batteries and two sets of blades.

Bought it for the big Blue Cats but now use it for Perch. Takes a few fish to get use to it but once you get feel - really easy to use. Does a great job skinning the fillets as well.

One battery is all I've needed - even with 15 or so Cats and 10-15 Perch.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
831 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Perhaps I am just old school but I really don't mind filleting white perch with a knife. I do my best to not allow the skinless fillet to touch the cutting board surface or anything else for that matter. That said, using a electric knife and cutting through the rib cage runs the risk of getting stomach content on the meat. Perhaps that don't bother others but it does me.

On another note. Look on youtube and watch the "Old fishermen" clean white perch. He'll show you three different ways to clean them.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All replies very much appreciated!!

Justintime - I hear you on that. My protocol is to put each fish in a 5 gallon bucket of seawater as it comes over the rail and then, while setting up next drift, scale and gut it then throw it on ice. This way, I can then cut through the rib cage without worrying about guts. Very clean cutting surface. I leave the skin on. Crispy Perch skin is delicious!

Pat

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got the cheap mister twister green and yellow electric filet knife from walmart a couple of years ago. It works great, and I use it on every type of fish -- primarily been catching perch and catfish. Saves a ton of time.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I got the Bubba that UncleRob linked above. Wow

I took my Son and one of his friends Perch fishing on Saturday evening. Teaching that one boy to cast was more than a notion but once he got it down, and once the tide started moving out, we started really catching some Perch. No really big ones but we loaded the box with 20 fine Perch using Perch Pounders.

I gutted and scaled the Perch on the boat and threw them on ice. Next morning I got up and started with the electric knife. What a breeze. Honestly, after a little warm up, it takes less than a minute per Perch. Super easy, right through the rib cage. Fed my family of five plus my handicapped brother and his helper. Fantastic!

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Pat

1 - 20 of 30 Posts