Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is off topic but I wanted to post this info, other folks should be on the lookout and should report any similar incidents to MD DNR.

I live in housing development in a rural area south of Frederick MD, in Jefferson MD. Yesterday I was bike riding with my son near home and we found something that just sickens me. There were two separate dumps of deer carcasses and parts. Some were from butchered carcasses, but there were at least 6 deer carcasses that were not butchered, the entire animal was dumped. Several of those had the heads removed, maybe they were bucks and the scumbags that killed them just wanted the heads or antlers. I reported this to MD DNR and they told me that they have received several reports of this incident and that they are actively investigating.

Notice that in the title of this thread I did not refer to the sleeze balls that did this as "hunters", the folks that did this are criminals killing our wildlife and needlessly wasting it.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
There we're poachers in our area a couple years back, apparently they didn't have a big cooler to keep their kill in, when the temps went up they dumped the carcasses on public land. DNR got so many calls & tips they caught the bunch however I have no idea what fines or charges they got if any.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Steve a few years ago I had to investigate some animal carcasses that were back in the woods and come to find out of about 50 carcasses 20 of them were deer and most of them just had there heads cut off. I know some hunters are just out for the racks but I also know some are after the meat, but just like a guy said to me here at work he had 4 or 5 guys call him last year wanted to know if he wanted a deer that they just killed because they already had there freezer filled… Why kill more if you have enough don’t make any sense to me.

·
Registered
125 Posts
These reports make all of the ethical hunters out there look bad in the eye of the public. When I read the reports in the DNR police blotter it bothers me that these outlaws are usually just given a minimal fine and sent on their way. Time to start issuing tougher sentences, fines and confiscation of gear!

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
These reports make all of the ethical hunters out there look bad in the eye of the public. When I read the reports in the DNR police blotter it bothers me that these outlaws are usually just given a minimal fine and sent on their way. Time to start issuing tougher sentences, fines and confiscation of gear!
Like this guy?
Robert Hodge Newberry, 50, Crumpton, MD

Failure to tag striped bass
Participate in fishery without a license
TFL unavailable for inspection

Sentenced to one day unsupervised probation. Fine and costs $50.

August 14 of this year, he was cited for all the same stuff, plus having fish over 36" in possession. He got PBJ. One week later, on August 21 he gets cited for the same offenses.
He was acquitted. This time, one day probation and 50 bucks.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Who cares !!!! The deer herd in our state is out of control, cars a hitting them everyday, insurance rates in several counties have increased just because of this, and Lyme disease in the north east including Maryland has reached an epidemic level. I say kill as many as possible!!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
the answer to deer population control is to kill does, and all people seem to want are racks. just make it so no bucks can be harvested for a few years,and things will change.

if the hunter doesnt want the meat they should donate it to hunters for the hungry. or stop hunting.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
It may also have been someone with crop damage permits that made legal kills but dumped them somewhere else....They (or the landowner) may not have wanted the carcasses on "their" property and discarded them illegally.

It's a shame to waste all that delicious meat like that...It would have been good for that meat to go to a homeless shelter.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Who cares !!!! The deer herd in our state is out of control, cars a hitting them everyday, insurance rates in several counties have increased just because of this, and Lyme disease in the north east including Maryland has reached an epidemic level. I say kill as many as possible!!!
Anyone who considers themself a sportsman should care. This is not about deer population, its about being ethical and law biding. If we want to continue to be able to hunt and fish we cannot do things that create negative sentiment from the general public. This kind of action is wasteful, unnecessary and against the law.

The season limits for deer and availability of crop damage permits are definitely adaquate to keep the deer herd stabilized. Part of the problem is they have adapted to suburban areas that has limited hunting access due to development and they are thriving. Fish and wildlife need to be managed properly. The "kill them all" attitude is just plain stupid! Attitudes like yours only makes it more difficult for the rest of us.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow,

I am surprised to see this post came back to the top. There is some interesting follow-up to this thread. After I called DNR police (and they said a number of citizens had called them about this, which I think is very encouraging) the Dept. of Trans. or DNR hauled away all the carcasses as well as a number of butchered parts, and DNR indicated they had some leads on the outlaws. I don't understand why some hunters don't dispose of deer skins and parts after butchering with their household garbage (like put that stuff in a plastic bag and put it out with the garbage), but for whatever reason some people seem to dump all their the deer parts along the road--what is up with that?!?

Several people I talked to said that probably these deer were dumped because the weather warmed and the deer probably were stored prior to butchering; with the warm weather the carcasses spoiled. Seems that some folks are far more concerned with hunting and killing additional deer than they are with efficiently processing and freezing the animals they have already harvested. Those people need to revist their hunting ethics and consider taking up golf.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts