Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was wondering if anyone has eaten at the Severn River Inn at the base of the Naval Academy (450) Bridge? I know it's a little pricey, but it's for our 10 year anniversary, so I don't mind splurging if the food is worth it. Otherwise, I'll with something more familiar such as the Charthouse.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Premium Member
26,133 Posts
Not sure about the Severn Inn.For special times I like YellowFin's on the South river.Route 2 on the right (heading south )just before you cross the river.Call and reserve a window table-nice views. Skip

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
I've eaten there two or three times and the food has always been good.
Unfortunately, the service has never been good.

If it's a special occasion, I'd pick a place where the service reputation is better.
Lots of good places around town with good food and service.

·
Registered
576 Posts
The food was good and the service was what I have grown to expect from a restaurant that perceives itself as "hot". Aloof.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
I agree that food is good and service is not. You probably get the best service sitting at the bar.

Additionally, we went by boat last spring and the docks weren't in the best shape and you had to walk across the beach to get to the parking lot (i.e. no direct access to the restaurant from the docks). They said they'd be improving the docks, but I haven't been back to check.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have to disagree with everyones assesment. I ate there last fall and sat outside on the deck. The food was awsome, the Kettle One was cold and I dont remember how the service was so it must have been good. If its nice enough to sit outside I dont think there's a better view in all of Anne Arundel county. But of course I'm partial to the river which our club is named after.

·
Registered
7,547 Posts
I dined there once and my wife and I enjoyed it. I don't recall any service complaints. Like Skip, I prefer Yellowfins, but I thought the Inn was pretty close. If I had to pick my top restaurants in the area, though, I'd go with Treaty of Paris at #1 (if you haven't gone in the past two years, you'll be pleased by the improvement), and a pair of chains -- Charthouse and Ruth's Chris -- just seem to be hard to beat. I've also heard great things about Lewnes, if steak is your thing. Mezonotte (sp?) on Rt. 2, near Pete's Cycle, is surprisingly great. It's out of the way, but talk about great service (and terrific food)! Northwoods, no matter how hard we try to like it, just doesn't measure up in terms of food or atmosphere, although the service is excellent.

But back to the Inn, I think you'll enjoy it. The views are great, the food is very good and even if the service isn't up to par, I doubt the wait staff will be tossing pies in your face (but let us know if that does happen).

Now if you really want to do something special...and have credit card payments to later remind you of the special night...go to the other Inn (at Little Washington).;-)

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Lewnes' is awesome! However, wines start at $42/bottle and go up over $1000. So you won't find any Corbett Canyon or Turning Leaf.

I found the Northwoods to be pretty snooty. Food was good, but it almost felt as if they didn't want us to be there....

·
Registered
7,547 Posts
I found the Northwoods to be pretty snooty. Food was good, but it almost felt as if they didn't want us to be there....
Another problem with Northwoods is that I feel like I'm eating in someone's outdated living room.

I forgot to mention the french place on B&A Blvd. (Severna Park). Cafe Britton, I think? I haven't gone, but it gets great reviews and has its own herb garden in back, although it may be to early in the year for that. If you are considering options on the Eastern Shore, then Kent Mannor Inn is also quite good and has a nice atmosphere (we had our wedding reception there in '99, but have only been back once....and I OD'd on cough medicine and passed out....long story having nothing to do with food or the Severn Inn).

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you!

All- Thanks for all the info. Many good suggestions, looking mainly for waterfront and seafood. Yellowfin and Kent Manor Inn both look like good options, still may consider Severn River Inn.

I'll report back.

·
Premium Member
26,133 Posts
Uncljohn-$1,000.00 for a bottle of wine ? WTF :confused:

I can see $200.00 for a bottle of champagne at a "Gentlemen's" club :thumbup: though. :D Skip

1 - 13 of 13 Posts