Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A MD Tropper was quoted as saying that he has no idea whn it will reopen. It's been closed since 1:30 due o a tanker accident on the eastbond side, but the bridge itself apparently sustained some damage. What a mess.

·
Registered
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
...update....I just read that westbound has been reopened; eastbound has one lane passable. It will still be an awful mess for rush hour. I don't typically leave DC until at least 6:30, but I'll bet that traffic on Rt. 50 will remain bad well into the evening.:censored:

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Goose-

WBAL.com traffic said no delays on SB I-97 and none on WB Rt 50, but still some delays on EB Rt 50. I'm hoping they are accurate. I check that at 4:30. I'm heading that direction in 10 minutes!!!:eek:

·
Registered
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool. That's the kind of forward thinking I expect from our traffic planners.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Nothing like that on the Baltimore news reports. They showed the accident but said traffic was moving again. BUT, they also said an "unknow amount" of diesel fuel had spilled into the river.:(( :((

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
traffic was FUBAR'd....Was there any damage report on the fuel spilled in the river ?? When I came home aroudn 7pm there was about a truck load of sand on the bridge.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Traffic was a mess from Balt to Kent Island. Seems like everyone jumped off Rt 50 and tied up every other road in the county. :eek:

·
Registered
849 Posts
there i was, innocent, sweet-hearted little ol' me STUCK IN THAT MESS FOR I DON'T KNOW HOW LONG just trying to get to anglers.
i must have fell asleep for a while, but the traffic started moving eastbound probably around 4.

just a little sand on the bridge when i got there. didn't look like the spill was very bad. i think there were a few cars involved too.

b

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
That bloody bridge is always going up in smoke! I've got a photo around here somewheres.......

Here's a shot I took in 1987 of a crashed fuel tanker on the bridge:

Here's one from the series of shots. It was pretty hairy - you can see the burning fuel pouring out of the storm drains:

I dropped the roll of film off at the Capital on the way home for that night's paper (STOP the presses!)

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Wow, that's some picture.

We drove through the 97S/50E area about 4:30 on our way to Edgewater. Let's just say I'm glad we could get off 50 onto Aris T Allen. It was already a slow roll from 97 just after Crownsville to the split and then 50 was a solid stop and slow go as far as we could see. It was backed up on 50E at least back to South River according to the radio.

Hope there wasn't much spill into the Severn.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts