Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago, I was heading down to Truxton Park, in Annapolis, towing my boat, about 6:00AM. I was on Aris Allen Blvd coming up to where it dumps on to Forest Drive. I see the light change, but there is no way I could have safely stopped without sliding through the light, or worse, especially in the rain, which had just started several minutes before. I see a couple of flashes and immediately know I was nailed by a stoplight camera. :nono: I wasn't sure if the city of Annapolis would cut me a break:rolleyes: due to the fact that I was towing a boat in the rain. I also thought(or hoping)that maybe the boat motor had blocked the view of the camera to get my tag. :thumbup: Over 2 weeks had gone by, so I figured I had escaped the ticket, for whatever reason. No such luck, got the ticket in the mail yesterday for $75. My question is, is it worth taking off work(probably not), going to court and possibly getting off or a reduced fine? I think it sucks that they didn't take into account, my ability to stop, while towing under those previous mentioned conditions. I know the camera lights are a cash cow for many cities these days. Anyone ever have a similar experience? Any thoughts? I know, I know, I should have had my vehicles speed under control to be able to stop.:yawn:

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
From what I've heard and read in the newspapers- it is very tough to beat a red light camera ticket.

You already stated what the judge will say- you should be able to stop your truck/boat - no matter what.

If it does not cost you time from work- give it a try-you never know but be prepared to cough out the $75.00 plus court costs.

The goal of the cameras is to slow down red light runners - you really don't have a good defense.It was raining- the judge will tell you you should have been going 10-15 mph under the posted limit.The limit is for dry pavement during daylight - up to you to adjust for weather /darkness- even though no one does.

·
Registered
292 Posts
There going to tell you that it was your responsibility to operate your vehicle at a speed appropriate for the conditions (rain, towing a boat, etc.).

$75 is not worth the time and effort.

Sucks :yes:

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
I detest that whole camera ticket thing. They even do it for speeding now in DC. It should be unconstitutional because there's no accuser and not even any way to prove who committed the offense.

Obviously, I've had my share....

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
There is a mandatory duration for the yellow phase of a red light, before it goes red. I'm not sure how long that period is, but I do know that some red light camera violators have gotten off by proving that the yellow phase was too short. I know that on 301 in Bowie and south, I can't get my RV and boat stopped in time to avoid going thru the red lights on dry pavement and 5mph under the speed limit(but the exercise does make a lot of noise and tire smoke). Can you stop from 50 mph on dry pavement in 4 seconds?
Pat in Joppa

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I got one a few months ago in the same situation as you, the light was clearly yellow as I drove through it and on the camera photo, you would think it would be an easy out, I fought it, Judge said that you shouldnt run a yellow light either and it probably turned red when I was in the intersection...got stuck with it.
Had a buddy get one in Baltimore City, the light for him was a left turn green, he was turning left, the straight light was red, he turned left on green and and he got a ticket. The judge stuck him with the fine anyway said the camera would not have taken a photo if he had not run a red light, he must have gone straight out of the left turn lane...those things suck...

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
You're screwed, but for $350 I can tell you that in latin.:D

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
One got me on Ritchie Hyw. at least I could see the flash,but no ticket in 2 months .I think I may have gotten lucky this time and just squeezed by.:sweatdrop:

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Those things are rediculous. But Im afraid youre going to be stuck paying the fine on this one Russ... the law reads that you are to control your vehicle to the conditions. Regardless if its raining or not. I stinks, but I think youre stuck...

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I think the requirement in Maryland is 3 seconds for a yellow light. That might be your only defense if you go to court and prove the light is out of time. If I were you, I'd just pay the stinkin thing and move on. What I hate most about speed cameras and such is your already assumed guilty when you show up. The $40 fine in Montgomery Co is just that --$40 if your 11 over or $40 if your 70 over -- Go figure!
I still think the cameras are just a money maker. One of the problems I run into daily is a spot where EVERYONE knows the location of the camera slows down to 18-20 MPH in a 30 MPH zone causing a huge backup.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I got a notice in the mail a couple month's ago saying I went too fast through the EZ Pass lane. I was going 45 in the 30 limit. Just a word of warning. Big Brother is everywhere.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
My wife got one ($75) on a sleeting day near DC (not sure what county), and you could clearly the sleet in the picture. She called the county to ask about fighting, and they said she'd have to pay the court cost ($25) even if she won, which meant she'd be wasting a entire day for $50. She opted to pay the $75.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I got one when I was trailering to Solomon's last year. I just figured it was a pretty picture of the boat from an angle I wouldn't normally see. Paid the fine and kept the picture. 5th

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Now that is making lemonade from lemons :clapping2:.
If your boat is big enough- the camera can not see the tags :innocent:.

·
Registered
395 Posts
You all know what I do for a living. I was leaving my part time job when I went through the third street tunnel in D.C. and got flashed. I was not paying attention it was 11:30 at night. I was 12 miles over limit. I went to court and they brought the picture up on the screen. I knew it was my car but the word MARYLAND on the tag was fuzzy. I said it was not clear therefore the evidence was not clear and convincing I got out of the ticket. If you ever get one in D.C. fight it the camera's take bad pictures.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I got one of the camera tickets this spring on opening day at 0435 hrs in the District. When the cameras flashed, I knew what was going to happen. When the $75 ticket arrived in the mail I sulked for a couple of days :confused: because I didn't run the light.

After I settled down, I went to the web site and downloaded all the photo's and data. The data said that the light had been red for 48 seconds, I was going 14 mph and that it was a sunny day. The photo also showed 2 cars right in front of me.

I wrote a letter stating that there was no way I ran that light and that the system needed to be recalibrated. I, along with the two cars in front of me, did not run the light after it had been red for 48 seconds, at 14 mph, at 0435 in the morning. They dismissed the ticket :clap:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I am a prosecuting attorney and periodically have to deal with traffic tickets in court. Now, I work in WV and not MD, so I don't know how uptight they are over there, but I can say that if someone came into my court and legitimately explained that situation to me, I would certainly dismiss the ticket. I think most judges here would dismiss as well, even if the prosecutor insisted on pressing the charge.

My suggestion, plead not guilty, go into court, and tell your story. Perhaps the prosecutor or judge may be sympathetic. You've got nothing to lose but your time.

Suggestion number #2: everyone band together to defeat these stupid camera tickets. Everyone needs to request a contested hearing. The cameras are pure and simple ATM's for the goverment. The only reason they work is that people just pay and don't contest. At the rate the cameras spit out tickets.....if every defendant asked for a contested hearing, the courts would be so clogged and the system would get so backed up, they would seriously have to reconsider the policy.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you have a GPS unit in your vehicle you can program the camera locations into your GPS unit and it will warn in advance of the redlight or speed camera.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts