Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone on the board had or know of anyone who has had a Spinal Cord Stimulator Implanted? It looks like I'm getting one on either the 10th or 11th of May. I know what the Doctors say about it and I had a week trial but I want to talk to someone who has had the full device implanted. I really want to know about the quality of life after the implant. I'm 36 years old and have had 4 Lumbar back operations. By trade I 'm a mason and also install Electronics in boats. Lots of bending and heavy bending and lifting. As of now Meds has been a way of life for me. If the Doctors are right this is the way to get me off of them. For obvious reasons I’m a little nervous about having this done. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, Jim P.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
A friend of mine has one and other than battery changes it's no big deal and you won't know it's there if done correctly. He's had his about 10 years. I've had 4 back surgeries with fusion but no stimulator yet.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bob H. Is there any way you can get me in touch with your friend. Maybe a PM. I'd really like to talk with someone who has had it done. My last surgery was a Fusion. My choices now are to have another fusion or the stimulator. The doctors are split 50/50. 1/2 saying they think they can fix it and the other 1/2 saying that I would just be delaying the stimulator until next year. Dr. Paul MacFee was the guy who did the fusion out of St. Joe. Again any help would be greatly appreciated. The company that makes the Stimulator "Medtronics" has a number that I can call to talk with people who have had it done but I always wonder about talking to them. I'm sure that there screened. Again Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
823 Posts
As I am sure you already know everyone's back problems are unique. Like all treatments if you talk to 10 people you will get ten different opinions. My wife had the Medtronics stimulator implanted 8-10 years ago. This was after two failed surgeries and a fusion. Her Dr. and the Medtronics rep at the time painted a rosy picture about the benefits. She got no relief initially and after six months of them fine tuning the unit to get better results she decided to have the entire unit removed. She was more uncomfortable from the battery itself then it was worth. They were able to remove the stimulator and the battery pack but not the wires that connected the two. The surgeon and the Medtronics people told us the wire would pose no problems. They were right as it posed no problem for either of them. My wife can't have an MRI because of the wire and no surgeon will attempt the removal of it because its proximity to the spinal cord and its nerves. The wire dosen't physically bother her but not being able to have an MRI for someone who suffers daily with back problems isn't a good thing. She has been able to get some relief through the pain management and exercise route but it will be a life long challenge.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Bob H. Is there any way you can get me in touch with your friend. Maybe a PM. I'd really like to talk with someone who has had it done. My last surgery was a Fusion. My choices now are to have another fusion or the stimulator. The doctors are split 50/50. 1/2 saying they think they can fix it and the other 1/2 saying that I would just be delaying the stimulator until next year. Dr. Paul MacFee was the guy who did the fusion out of St. Joe. Again any help would be greatly appreciated. The company that makes the Stimulator "Medtronics" has a number that I can call to talk with people who have had it done but I always wonder about talking to them. I'm sure that there screened. Again Thanks for the help.
I don't know what country he's in right now (somewhere warm) - just went on 2 week vacation. I'll take fusion over a battery pack. He still takes painkillers more often than I do so I think I came out ahead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.