Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've watched Chumlord's video on eeling where he discusses the equipment etc. and I'm in the market for a spinning reel to add to my inventory.

I have a question for all of you comparing Shimano Tunnus Spinning Reels ($230-$250)and Shimano Baitrunner Spinning Reels ($110-$130).

I plan to use the new reel primarily for striper fishing and marry it with a nice Shimano rod. I'm looking at the 6500 or either the 12000F/16000F.

The QUESTION: Is it worth the 2X price for the Tunnus? Or not? I've reviewed the Shimano website for the differences in specifications but what does the "real world" think?

Comments please.

Lar

·
Registered
268 Posts
3500 biatrunner will do awesome for eeling monster stripers. Gregs bait shack has them in stock over in portsmouth and he will gladly help you with any other questions about eeling. Also Capt Max King has a dvd out Called EELIN and REELIN for monster stripers which is a great dvd with loads of information. You can also buy those at gregs bait shack. The dvd will answer all your questions and give you exact spots on where over 66 huge stripers have been caught and its definetly worth the $30.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Max King Video

Got one of the first ones Greg had at the Shack. Watched it till its not shinny any longer. I've actually plotted all of the data Max but in the extras. Nice job on it.

So you like the 3500? What do you have it paired with?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I cant speak to the thunnus but I can to the baitruner, i've got a 4500 on a star custom 17/22 and a 14/17. Both are excellent combos and are high quality reels. I know some people dont like Okuma products but I also have a Coronado 650 on an 8' crowder rod that I fish side by side with the others. Truth be told, more fish have been caught on the Okuma and it shows no signs of stopping. I have been pleased with all of the above. After using the baitrunner, I just dont see what the extra money would get you. Just my .02

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
If you plan on fishing multable seasons like striper,cobia,drum,etc then the baitrunner will be to your advantage for versitility. The rest ...i guess if you want to pay all that you can but I beileve that the baitrunner would be well suited to deal with anything you might encounter

Capt. Mike

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have (2) 6500's paired w/ 7' MH Ugly Sticks. This is my 3rd season w/ the combos and no issues to date.

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
The 6500 is just plain BIG... a little too big (IMHO)... I have one and am still looking for the right rod. On all my spinning rods, the first guide near the reel is just too small. If I had it to do over again, I'd have bought the 4500.

I just have a REALLY hard time buying a $200+ spinning reel when there's so many good ones between $75 - $150.

For durability, you can't beat a Penn 5500 or 6500. I've got some that are over 15 years old. Just clean'em, replace the drag washers occasionally, kepp'em lubed and they're fine... but, without the baitrunner feature.

·
Flounder -r- Fluky
5,925 Posts
i use Penn 5500's and have had no problems w/ lost-missed bites........ my way is to drift with light drag and tighten up as soon as a run starts while still in the rod holder...... works like a champ for me.

·
Registered
303 Posts
A big:thumbup: on the baitrunner, I've used mine mainly for site-casting to cobia and have never had a problem. for the past 3 years,they have preformed great on big reds and have worked good on eeling for rock as well.we've wrestled allot of big fish into the boat with these reels matched on a penn slammer rod, they hold up nicely. good luck on whatever you choose.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
What Brian and Al said. I use Penn 6500 for drum striper ect. No problems on hook up ratios. But my Penns are older ones. Don't get me wrong Shimano makes a great product.

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
What Brian and Al said. I use Penn 6500 for drum striper ect. No problems on hook up ratios. But my Penns are older ones. Don't get me wrong Shimano makes a great product.
I agree. It is all in the drag. Set it up right and put it in freel spool.

Billy,

By the way, when Jamie and I call your cell phone, we expect you to pick up on the first ring !

Dennis:clap:

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
I also agree with Brian and Billy on the penn 6500 i have 2 and use them for drum, striper, cobia and what ever else..:D I also have a 9500 for the surf that is awesome and works great. Brandon

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
For eeling I really like the baitrunner feature. I have the 4500's and 6500's. The 6500's are indeed big reels, and they will wear you out casting, but they work great for bait fishing. I would advise against going down to the 3500's for trophy stripers, esspecially if you are fishing around structure like the bridge. You go from 15-16 lbs of drag with the 4500 and 6500 down to 9 lbs with the 3500. You can go to the smaller reel with the Thunnus since they are all capable of about 17 lbs of drag. Line capacity won't be an issue on any of them if you load them up with braid. The 7 foot Tallus Blue waters make a nice match for the 4500's. My 6500's are on custom Bishop's rods which he builds for white marlin. I went to those because I couldn't find anything off the shelf that I felt really matched up to those big reels.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I have a pair of 6500 Baitrunners on 6'6" Shimano Tallus rods the reels are spooled up with 300 yds of 50 lb power pro with a 100 foot top shot of 30 lb test mono joined by an Albright knot. I bought the 6500's for casting big topwater plugs Tuna when the water was oil slick calm and I figured they would also work well casting topwater plugs to AJs and bait fishing for Drum, fishing for Cobia and of course eeling for Stripers. They perform all those functions flawlessly. If I was to purchase one reel specifically for eeling it would be either a 4500 or 6500 Baitrunner. Stripers are not hard fighters so I don't see the need to go with a Thunnus, buy two 4500 Baitrunners and you will be better off. Remember, these reels are not for repeated casting I find them way too big for that. Another option are the Penn Live Liners, very well built and small enough to cast repeatedly and many 40 lb. Stripers have been brought to my boat with those reel as well. I believe I have the Live Liner 4600. As far as where to catch those monsters it is quite simple the deep water off Kiptopeke holds a lot of big fish from Cape Charles down to Kiptopeke the big ones stack up. It will be on big time here in a week or two and the bite will last till the end of the bay season. Don't forget about the area from the high rise out to the 4a buoy the cows stack up there as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts