Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is VERY much into trains. We've hit all of the local museums. Now we're looking to take him to a real train yard or other place where he's likely to see a bunch of trains (he's not quite 4, so sitting alongside some lonely track for hours waiting fro a train to pass, or walking through some dangerous switch yard, isn't an option). Does any place in the Baltimore-Annapolis area exist that would make for good, safe train observation? I vaguely recall a hump/classification yard in Curtis Bay, but that would have been about 25-years ago.

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Jeff
There are a lot of other displays you might want to check out.
Look on trainsrcool.com for a listing of all the layouts in the Balto area. Its getting close to the end. Also he might like the great scale show in timonium jan31 and feb 1. There are a lot of nice layouts on display
fishboy

·
Registered
265 Posts
Not sure if this is what you had in mind but the RR bridge across the GP by boat . Mostly Amtrack Acela. Might be too intense for a 4 year old but it is up close and personal!

·
Registered
290 Posts
you say you hit all the local museums. well then its time to come to Pa. and take a ride on the famous Strasburg rail road. Its on old steamer and it is awsome. they even have thomas the choo choo there. john

·
Registered
747 Posts
Sometimes you do have to wait a while for a train, but the tracks that run past Raven's stadium are pretty active. There is an area that you can park off of the street right over by the baltimore animal shelter.

I second Strasburg...that is a fun day...hit the local homestyle restaurants while you are in Amish Country!

One of the best places in the state is Cumberland. If you stay at the Holiday Inn (it is very clean), request a room facing the tracks...hope you are not a light sleeper! There is a 3-4 track mainline right through town...always something coming through....and...the Western Md Scenic Railroad is a mile away!

Dave

·
Registered
527 Posts
Opposite the Strasburg Railroad is a very large building housing old rail cars and assorted engines. If you go in the winter time dress as required. There is no heat in the building.

gene

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Curtis Bay Yd is still there. Frankfurst Ave. would be the place to view it. This would be in South Baltimore. Mapquest it for directions. The MARC train can be caught at BWI or Odenton. Should be able to get a timetable off the web.

·
Premium Member
26,290 Posts
Why not take him on the Am track/Marc train right from BWI area ? You can go to DC and back - short trip but alot of fun.

Off of Dorsey Rd - the road leading to 84 Lumber goes within 30 feet of Am Track.The train goes by fast but really close :yes:.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
2nd the Dorsey rd tracks. Took my twins there MANY times to their delight. Conductors will pull the horn for your child if they see you. Fond memories.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Rt 40/Monument Street split @ East Baltimore, in the metal company parking lot. Action for CSX main, west end of Bayview Yard/Wye as well as branch going down to Dundalk/Canton area and coal piers. More movements in morning and evening; usually a mid day lull. Westbound through-trains on the main are the same that will pop outta the tunnel at...

Ravens Stadium, already mentioned good spot at the Animal Control w/main action as well as branch going down to the Locust Point yard next to/under I-95. Here for CSX as well as MARC trains.

Lockhouse Museum in Havre de Grace on the banks of the Susquehanna. Nestled between the NE Corridor electrified line (downriver) and the CSX main (upriver), you can see ALL trains as they pass over the bridges. CSX freight, Amtrak, MARC, Norfolk Southern freight. A literal smorgasborg of rail activity.

For some closup hop across to the Perryville Station for just NE Corridor Amtrak, Marc and NS freights coming down the Susquehanna line through the Wye.Again, mornings are good.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Railroad Ave/Viaduct Ave at St Denis W. Baltimore just off rt 1 and I-195. A stones throw from the historic Relay Viaduct just around the curve, great CSX/Marc main line movements as well as CSX Old Line coming down through Ellicott City.

Patapsco Ave bridge near Lansdowne...another cool junction of the CSX main and branches from Curtis bay/Carroll Viaduct plus MARC. Stand on the north side of the bridge, looking toward Baltimore and you'll have a blast. I used to do some railfan videos there.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Jeff, we have a couple at-grade crossings here in Joppa, for the CSX line(Formerly B&O). I can guarantee a train by simply calling my Dad on the phone, I'm about 250 yards from the crossing, he's only 100 yards. Train comes every time I call him:D We get at least a dozen trains a day. I used to be a big train guy, but now I limit myself to steam and ancient diesel stuff.
Pat in Joppa

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Goose you have to do the day out with Thomas
Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum - Holiday Fesitval of Trains
I took Brian when he was about 5 went nucking futs getting to see Thomas in person. I am conviced that Thomas the Tank Engine is like kiddy train entry level drug. Kids that never seen it before know about it and want He still likes trains

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
There is a tiny railroad museum in Chesapeke Beach by the charter boats.

Also, by Cumberland the C and O canal towpath follows train tracks for a little while. I don't remember exactly where but there is one spot where we tried camping one night where it seemes a train went by every fifteen minutes.

There are lots of maps about hiking the towpath next to the canal I am sure one of them wouuld show train tracks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts