Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pop is coming over tomorrow and we are going to install the Lowrance 111-LCX. Its a 18 ft Edgewater CC. 115 outboard. I have heard the transducer should be mounted on the port side because of the prop rotation. any suggestions on location?

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It didnt really make sense to me since its an outboard and the transducer would be in front of the prop...If it was an inboard I would understand mine is on SB too and reads fine..I have twins and never really thought about it until someone mentioned it today

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was looking at the pics of the boat again. I have heard that you can mount a transducer on a piece of Starboard like material so you dont have to drill holes etc. In the pic it looks like it has something like that...

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
I was looking at the pics of the boat again. I have heard that you can mount a transducer on a piece of Starboard like material so you dont have to drill holes etc. In the pic it looks like it has something like that...

I don't see any starboard material in the pic . It's no big deal drilling a few small holes for the ducer and wire guides . Just make sure to seal it up well with 5200 . That sure is a pretty boat . I've found as well , don't tighten the ducer completely until you have her in the water . Then you can check your signal and adjust accordingly .

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
For whats its worth

Transom Mounting Location
The first critera in choosing a location on the transom is to select a spot that remains in the water when the boat is on plane. Next, the transducer location must not interfere with the operation of the outboard motor or outdrive propulsion. Finally, the transducer must be located in an area which will have clean, non-turbulent or aerated water. Underwater hull appendages upstream and in line with the transducer, like strakes, can cause disturbed water and affect the performance.

Single Engine
On boats with a single engine, the generally preferred location for a SONAR transducer (if using a right-hand propeller) is on the PORT side of the transom. Propeller torque will tend to keep this side of the transom slightly more immersed in the water than the starboard side. Allow at least 12-inches from centerline to provide clearance for the engine. The SONAR transducer must not create aerated water flow into the engine lower unit. The cooling water for the engine is obtained from the engine lower unit, and the pickup must be running in clean water. Turbulent water from a transom mounted transducer could cause problems for the engine water flow. Typically on a Boston Whaler there will be several inches of transom available for mounting of a transducer before one encounters any underwater strakes on the hull or sharp chine lines. Any strake on the hull upstream of the transducer will tend to create turbulence which will affect performance.

Dual Engines
On boats with twin engines, the SONAR transducer may be mounted on or near the keel centerline. While it is often seen that the transducer is mounted precisely on centerline, some suggest offsetting it several inches to move away from any disturbed water coming from the keel itself.

Mounting Details
When installing the transducer, be sure to mount it so that the sound beam will be directed orthogonal to the sea bottom. This will often mean the transducer will make some angle with respect to the boat bottom, particularly on deep-Vee hulls. Most all hulls have deadrise at the transom, so the transducer must be mounted out of alignment with the hull itself and oriented directly downward to the sea bottom.

When drilling holes for mounting, be sure to use a good sealant to prevent any water from entering the interior of the hull. Use stainless steel screws, and bed the screws with bedding compound like Bostik 920, Boat-Life Caulk, 3M-4200, or a similar product. Be certain to make the mounting screws water-tight. They will be immersed whenever your boat is in the water. The last thing you want is water leaking into the transom to rot any wood embedded there.

When drilling the mounting hole, use an oversized drill to remove the gelcoat layer to larger diameter, equal to the shank of the mounting screw. If you don't do this you will likely experience radial cracks in the gelcoat coming from your screw holes. There is excellent laminate and wood beyond the gelcoat layer and they will provide good purchase for your screws.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Guy that just installed my electronics on my new boat (does it for a living)...put my Furuno trans on the port side and my Raymarine on the starboard side.......works great.......

·
Registered
339 Posts
The deucer should be on the downward side of the prop stroke.That is Starbord on most single engine outyboard boats.It should not be behind a through hull fitting or next to a chine .It also needs to be level for a good arch on your screen. When you mount it make sure the motors pisser isnt hitting right on or behind it also.Hope this helps .

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Make sure there's no lifting strake right in front of the 'ducer.

Also, If you don't want to drill holes in the transom, get a piece of 1" Starboard. Rip some diagonal grooves on the back for a better 5200 bond. Rip the bottom edge 10 or 15 degrees to match the angle of the hull to transom.

Here's a couple of pics of mine:

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Chris,Mine is on the Starboard side....HAD a 175 Johnson..standard rotation.Never had a problem with my C-80.Re-Powered with a 225 Optimax Counter Rotation Engine....Still no problems.[For what its worth.]I think all Hulls are a little different on where to place it.Stay away from the Strakes,Chines and Thru-Hulls though[Mike]

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well...I talked to Edgewater today... they said Starboard, so I guess thats where it will go...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts