Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Virginia Beach boatowners,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
In reviewing the proposed ordinances for the revised taxes in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Virginia Beach</st1:place></st1:City>, there are two ordinances that apply. One talks about the revised taxes taking effect on 1 January 2008. The other, a draft copy provided below, states that this increase goes into effect on "January 1, 2007."

This means it will be RETROACTIVE! We could be seeing tax bills at any time after this is accepted on 15 May!
For boats over 5 tons, this is a good thing as it shows a reduction. For the rest, it is a ONE MILLION percent increase that will take effect this year.

You need to contact your representitives in City Council (go to Official City of Virginia Beach Web Site) to find how to contact them.

AN ORDINANCE AMENDING THE TAX LEVY ON PERSONAL PROPERTY FOR THE CALENDAR YEAR 2007 BY INCREASING THE TAX RATE ON PRIVATELY OWNED BOATS AND WATERCRAFT USED FOR RECREATIONAL PURPOSES AND BY DECREASING THE TAX RATE ON ALL BOATS AND WATERCRAFT WEIGHING FIVE TONS OR MORE
BE IT ORDAINED BY THE COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF <st1:City w:st="on">VIRGINIA BEACH</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">VIRGINIA</st1:place></st1:State>:
That "An Ordinance Establishing the Tax Levy on Personal Property and Machinery and Tools for Calendar Year 2007," adopted on May 9, 2006, is hereby amended as follows:<o:p></o:p>

Sec. 3. Amount of Levy on All Boats or Watercraft Weighing Five Tons or More.<o:p></o:p>
In accordance with Section 58.1-3506 (A) (1) of the Code of Virginia, there shall be levied and collected for general purposes for the calendar year 2007 taxes on all boats or watercraft weighing five (5) tons or more, except as provided for in Section 5 of this ordinance, at the rate of one dollar ($1.00) and fifty cents ($1.50) on each one hundred dollars ($100) of assessed valuation thereof.<o:p></o:p>

Sec. 5. Amount of Levy on Privately Owned Pleasure Boats and Watercraft Used for Recreational Purposes Only.<o:p></o:p>
In accordance with Sections 58.1-3506 (A) (10) , (A) (26) , and (A) (27) of the Code of Virginia, there shall be levied and collected for general purposes for the calendar year 2007 taxes on all privately owned pleasure boats and watercraft used for recreational purposes only, at the rate of one dollar ($1.00) one millionth of one cent ($.000001) on each one hundred dollars ($100) of assessed valuation thereof.<o:p></o:p>

Sec. 11. Effective Date.<o:p></o:p>
This ordinance shall be effective January 1, 2007.<o:p></o:p>

Adopted by the Council of the City of Virginia Beach, Virginia, on this 15th day of May, 2007.<o:p></o:p>
Requires an affirmative vote by a majority of the members of City Council.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
For the rest, it is a ONE MILLION percent increase that will take effect this year.
Actually, if my old math serves me, changing from the current rate of One Millionth of a cent per $100, to $1 per $100, is a change of 100 Million times as much, or an increase of Ten Billion Percent...

Somebody check the math..... :eek2:

Brian

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brian,

I just copied what the city put out. The actual tax rate is one millionth of one dollar, vice one millionth of one cent. Regardless, it is a HUGE increase that the City Manager wants to have take effect this current year.

I don't know about you, but I did not budget for this...

Joe

·
Registered
297 Posts
I wrote an email to Madam Mayor and her staff of Royalty yesterday, but do not expect anything more than a, "Thank you for expressing concern and taking time out of your day to participate in the city government process." Blah-blah-blah... Absolutely ridiculous!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wag - I spoke just now with councilman Bill DeSteph. He owns two boats and four jetskiis. He did not have an opportunity to review the entire budget package yet, and was unaware of this provision.

He was NOT happy! He asked me to speak at council again on Tuesday to urge tax relief now. If any of you are available to attend 6 pm on Tuesday, 3 April, come on out.

Joe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tax on $20k in boat value is $200/yr

If the tax is $1 per $100 of value, then I figure the tax bill would be $200/yr for a boat assessed at $20k, $400 for a $40k boat, etc. Not great, but it could be worse. Maybe we could convince them to lower or eliminate the fee for the Lynnhaven boat ramp for city residents, since we'll all be chipping a few extra bucks each year.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Actually, if my old math serves me, changing from the current rate of One Millionth of a cent per $100, to $1 per $100, is a change of 100 Million times as much, or an increase of Ten Billion Percent...

Somebody check the math..... :eek2:

Brian
Yup, you're right in the ball park. Glad I'm not in that city................

·
Registered
297 Posts
PB,
Simply bowing in to a new tax is exactly what the City wants us to do. Kind of like the Feds did when it came to gas prices (while offering myriad excuses why prices were rising). I assume everyone in this forum is not happy w/ paying $2.50 for gas, yet we still do. However, gas and boat taxes are like apples & oranges. Bottom line is there was a $24M+ surplus last year and the City squandered the funds almost immediately. Now they talk as if the proposed $1M to be generated by the boat tax will be used for dredging projects. If I am not mistaken, the City was having a very difficult time finding anyone to bid on the dredging contract. I find it totally ludicrous to tax your personal property (my truck, my wife's Jeep, and my boat trailer - totalling $400), tax my property based on a subjective assessment (assessed $25K more this year - totalling $2800), then want another pint of blood by taxing my boat (roughly $30K assessed - totalling $300). That means the City is getting $3500 in taxes from me annually. My mom retired and moved down here from central NY state (Oswego County) several years back because they basically taxed her out of her home (was paying $6K annually on a property out in the boonies). Now I get to hear her complain of how she is yet again getting taxed out of her property and wants to move somewhere cheaper. The City's great advertised solution for offering tax relief is to allow elderly folks to freeze their taxes until they sell the property (be it by choice or by virtue of death). Can you imagine the due tax on some of these estates. So much for inheritance... As for the rest of the peons, we simply suck up what the City pushes. Some might say if you cannot stand the heat, get out of the fire (move). Why should I? It is time the citizenry pushes back. Vote out the knuckleheads who blindly follow the lead of Mr. Spore's Utopian tax ideas.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wag,

Great comments! What I shared here is only one aspect of a comprehensive tax plan drafted by Jim Spore's minions, and has not yet been closely evaluated by anyone - including members of the council. We need to stand up and be heard!

Next Tuesday Mr. Dyer (who shut down Bill DeSteph's resolution) will be proposing an alternative plan which consists of forming a blue ribbon panel. We need to cram the council chambers and demand ACTION instead of more hot air.

PLEASE come out and at least be seen! As an active BRAC-aholic, I know first hand that what the council listens to (sometimes) is numbers.

All of the parts of the tax plan will be up for discussion in future council sessions. That is the point where we need to fight those parts (like the boat tax and vehicle tax increases).

Remember, if the draft ordinance I shared at the top of this thread is passed, it will cause recreational boaters with boats in the beach to pay THIS YEAR! DON'T ROLL OVER!

·
Registered
297 Posts
The only reply I got back (to my previous email to the Mayor & Council) was from Mr. DeSteph (see below):

Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2007 20:59
To: Wagner, Erik C GS11
Subject: RE: Proposed budget

Eric,

I must say that I agree with you. That is one of the reasons I put forth a resolution to limit the revenues from real estate to 3.5%. Unfortunately, the first resolution was defeated. It is with great hope that we get many more citizens like you to continue to e-mail all of council and ensure that your message and the message of all taxpayers get across to all of council.

Warmest regards,

Bill

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
If the Beach passes it Norfolk is next guarentee it! TAX TAX TAX and more TAX wait a minute TAX my old pair of shoes which I paid TAX on 6 months ago. My mom and dad live on fixed income and thier house went up another $30,000 and that was one quater. My buddy's house in the same nieghborhood went up $40,000. He is a sinlge parent and may have to take a second job to keep his house. Enough is enough. Blood sucking animals is all I have to say! If they try this in Norfolk I hope all of you speak as I will.:52: :52: :52: :52: :2guns: :2guns: :2guns: :2guns: :soapbox:

·
Registered
191 Posts
How bout an old time Boston Tea party In Lynnhaven or Lake Rudee, heck I'd come out from Suffolk and support you all, get the media envolved, I can see it now, "Va beach, out to get boaters":clapping2: If Va Beach does it, won't be long before all the cities do it.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I don't know about you, but I did not budget for this...

Joe
I live in Norfolk, not VaBch... of course, the cities are likely to follow each other on this....

·
Registered
16,824 Posts
I'm glad I moved out of Virginia Beach. You guys who have trailered boats need to move where they are recorded. Those with boats in the water are in trouble.

As for the Tea Party thing, I seem to remember truck drivers pulling in mass around city capitals creating havoc in traffic patterns. There could be a boat parade with boats on trailers going in circles in the Pembroke area, creating a moving traffic problem. I'd probably come join you guys.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'll put my boat back on it's trailer if everyone wants to pull their boats around pembroke for a couple of hours.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Well, maybe they'll put the money to good use. :eek2:

Boat owners up here in NNews and York Co. and Gloucester have been paying taxes all along. :boat: We feel no pitty.:yawn:

Don't worry, you'll get used to it.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
forget Pembroke that's a mess already...go pull around the Gov Center tie that up for a few hours and it would get national attention like it did during the sniper trials when traffic was gridlocked...reporters were crying because they couldn't get there to report!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts