Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I SHOULD be getting my new ride this weekend and I'm going to install a new VHF radio myself on the CC. My question is about the antenna and what seems to be the best one for a CC. I don't want the 8' one. I thinking 3' whip antenna I can mount on the rail so it does not interfere with a bimini and I can fold it down when I cover the CC.
Any thoughts or suggestions???

Boz

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brother,
When I had a CC I had one of the short amplified antennas on my windshield rail and the best I can say is that it worked over short distances. It's all line of sight so the higher your antenna, the more you can punch out and the better you receive. Now I have a WAC and I went with a 9.5' antanna.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I did a lot of research on antennas, before installing my own. As GB says, they work line of sight, so it depends on where you're going to go and how badly you need to be heard. The answer to both of those questions may vary, but I never heard of anyone complaining because they had too much coverage.

Therefore, your 3 ft antenna mounted on the top of the console might have comparable coverage as an 8 ft mounted on the deck next to the console. But it will have less than the 8' on top of the console. You can get a ratchet type attachment that would allow you to fold down any antenna to put up the bimini. Then if an emergency cropped up and you needed the extra range, you could put down the bimini and put up the antenna.

Whatever you do, make sure you use the new "crimp on" antenna connector by Shakespeare (around $5). Ten times easier than soldering, with much fewer problems.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Hey BB - I went with the 4ft Digital from Jim at byownerelectronics. It has very good ratings.

Get the Stainless Shakespeare rachet mount too - that's a nice piece of gear.

Haven't had a chance to test the range yet, but I expect it will be decent.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Who makes the 4' digital and whats the model number so i can look it up.

thanks

·
Registered
703 Posts
My installation

Last year I bought a 3 foot VHF antenna. It is not the Digital brand and I am
very happy with the antenna and installation. It is mounted on the center
console tubing via a ratchet mount. I also have a bimini cover and I can
raise the antenna even with the bimini cover up. As for range, I cannot give
you a mileage but it is much, much better than the old handheld.

Keep in mind that increased transmit range will also result in increased
receive range - more garbage to listen to. Having done what I've done,
I wouldn't have it any other way. And most of my fishing is done near
the Bay Bridge, a very congested, as far as radio traffic goes, area.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Boz,
My CC has the 3 foot wire whip antenna from Shakespeare mounted on the rail that goes over the top of the windshield and down the console. What is great about it is that I can take the wire out, and that way put a canvas cover over the console when not in use. It works well for me so that may be something you might consider. BTW I'm looking forward to a reunion of the Eastern Shore Boyz on a fishing trip to the Honga this May.
Shawn

·
Registered
163 Posts
A 4 foot antenna will be an excellent choice for a center console. I have a 4 foot Shakespear Galaxy antenna on mine, and I have had good results. A good quality 4 foot antenna on the Chesapeake Bay is more then adequate. On the other hand, if I were planning on going offshore I would want a 8 footer to get the extra range.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Hey BB - I went with the 4ft Digital from Jim at byownerelectronics. It has very good ratings.

Get the Stainless Shakespeare rachet mount too - that's a nice piece of gear.

Haven't had a chance to test the range yet, but I expect it will be decent.
Boz I put this exact setup on my new boat...Awesome..called jim on Mon and had it tues.......:yes:

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm all over it...

Quimby's called this morning and she's ready!!!!!!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts