Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Memorial Day approaching we're thinking of having a pig roast for the weekend. Have done it before but not in this area, so can someone tell me where I can purchase a 50-70 lb pig for a rotisserie style pig roast?

I'd prefer that the pig be dressed with the hair singed off.

What do you think I should expect to pay?

We're in South Gloucester county near the Coleman Bridge.

Thanks!

·
Registered
678 Posts
I live in Southern Maryland and have done this several times, can thell you this.... there is no finer eatin meal than what you're talking about.....
I know a pig farmer in our area that sells them to us for this, he raises pigs for market and he charges us like 40.00 but we kill the pig ourself and usually skin it. Scaulding and removing the hair is a pain and if care is taken in covering the hind end and loins with foil there's no downfall to skinning it. Good luck.....

·
Registered
33 Posts
The country store I work for part time can order you a whole hog. We need at least one week notice to order it and it comes with hair on it. Sorry but we do not skin or de-hair them. The store is Bennett's Creek Farm Market located on Route 17 in Suffolk.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Stallings wholesale meats in Elizabeth City, NC sells them with the hair removed and the spine cracked so that the pig will lay flat on the grill. You can get it with the head on or off. I choose the head off, because you pay by the pound. I have bought several there and they have been perfect. The price about $1.10/lbs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts