Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys. I have a 2006 Yamaha 4 stroke 150. I have 480 hrs on the motor. I change the oil 2 times a year. I change my water separator filter 2 times a year. I change my lower unit oil 2 times a year. I average @ 150 hrs per fishing season.

I have read many post on here about servicing Yamaha outboards but most problems you guys are having are with 2 strokes??

I contacted Chris @ Beacon Light Marina and asked him about services. He told me that I have a major service due @ 500 hrs? Je said they replace the water pump and alot of other things that I dont think would need to be done?

I need some advice? What services do you think need to be done? I have listed above what I have done since I owned the motor. I can say that I have not had 1 issue yet with this motor, I love it.

If I do need some service done @ 500 hours, what is it? I would like to get it done before I take the boat down to Herrington Harbour South for the Spring Trophy season. I do have it scheduled for its regular maintenance next month/ oil change/ new water separator/new lower unit oil.

Please help? I'm not a mechanical person at all and dont want to do work that does not need to be done?

Thanks

Phil(lily):))

·
Registered
248 Posts
Lily - For a list of what Yamaha says maintanence should be done on their 4-strokes, check out http://66.221.91.35/TechPhotos/Yamah...I Models.pdf . It shows what should be done at different intervals.

A great resource for Yamaha maintenance questions is the Shipyard Island Marine Forum on the Hull Truth: Boating & Fishing Forum - Shipyard Isl. Marine Engine Parts . Great how-to's and the moderator (SIM) is really helpful for low-cost parts. He even helped me troubleshoot a problem over the phone when I was servicing my F225 with parts I bought from him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts