Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Ummmm..that'll leave a mark....

I can here it now...

"Vessel approaching from my starboard...You are the give way vessel, turn from your present course..."

"Ummm Vessel approaching from my port side...You are the give way vessel please turn from your present course"

HORNS BLARING....BRACE FOR IMPACT.....

G

·
Dont believe the video. See the people sitting on the bridge. They didn't even move when hit. I would have thought they would have rolled all over the floor. Even a guy standing on the swimplatform didn't seem flustered? Is this real?

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
The boat doing the filming was in the wrong and should have yielded or changed course (unless he just changed course before the clip started).

But I have found more than 50% of boaters do not understand simple right of way rules so I will always turn away so as to not play chicken on the water.

My guess in this clip they both had on their autopilots, away from the helm distracted doing something other than what he should have been doing. The other strange thing is there is obviously somebody holding the camera (not fixed mounted) so at a minimum the camera guy should have seen it coming but yet he couldn't set the camera down and do something to avoid this rather than just keep filming like an idiot.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Believe Rule 17 applies

(a) Where one of two vessels is to keep out of the way, the other shall keep her course and speed. The latter vessel may however take action to avoid collision by her maneuver alone, as soon as it becomes apparent to her that the vessel required to keep out of the way is not taking appropriate action in compliance with these Rules.

(b) When, from any cause, the vessel required to keep her course and speed finds herself so close that collision cannot be avoided by the action of the give-way vessel alone, she shall take such action as will best aid to avoid collision.

(c) A power-driven vessel which takes action in a crossing situation in accordance with subparagraph (a)(ii) of this Rule to avoid collision with another power-driven vessel shall, if the circumstances of the case admit, not alter course to port for a vessel on her own port side.

(d) This Rule does not relieve the give-way vessel of her obligation to keep out of the way.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
:D:cool:Hey, I have the right of way because my Auto Pilot is ON!!!:cool::D

:boat::boat::boat::boat::helpsmilie:
Lucian that's funny but sad to. 2 years ago off CH a guy told me that same thing. He had the right of way because his auto pilot was on. No kidding. I couldn't believe it.:confused::wacko:

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Cape Henry Striper Season

By the time striper seaon is over, I will have seen things like that too many times, but with smaller boats. Right of Way-Whats That? DAH!!!!! ::eek2::eek2::eek2:

Safe Boating & Tight Lines,
Kevin
Weekend Mistress
Coastal Conservation Association-Virginia

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
How much you wanna bet the boat with the camera (in the wrong) thought because he was the "big boat" he had the right of way? ............or was making a double Martini and wasn't paying attention?

·
Registered
717 Posts
On it's face the camera boat should have gave way. However we do not know if this is a case of Vessel not under command, limited by draft, restricted movement or some of those crazy inland rules regarding up river down river? Way too many variables to call from video alone. Either way someone has some "SPLAININ TO DO!"

From the video the camera boat was bigger, if true I tend to use the rule of tonage, he who is biggest wins,, I suggest give way....

·
Registered
438 Posts
Best two bits of instruction I ever got onboard ship........rules of the road summed up......#1) Dont hit anybody......#2)Dont spill any oil.........everything else is just small stuff, and remember, in Admiralty Law there is no right or wrong.......its all based off of % of fault....if you really study the Nav Rules book, there are so many "catch all's" that take responcibilty off of one guy and give part of it to the other.....that NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO, you will always end up partially at fault.

(but thats subject to change too.......hence my best learned rules as stated earlier!!!)

·
Registered
598 Posts
Shipman,

Good rules to live by! If there was a clause about never revealing Spec Trout info in there - I would consider it a manifesto!

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Auto Pilot

AUTO PILOT>>>>is that the bimbo in the Bikini at the helm???:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Best two bits of instruction I ever got onboard ship........rules of the road summed up......#1) Dont hit anybody......#2)Dont spill any oil.........everything else is just small stuff, and remember, in Admiralty Law there is no right or wrong.......its all based off of % of fault....if you really study the Nav Rules book, there are so many "catch all's" that take responcibilty off of one guy and give part of it to the other.....that NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO, you will always end up partially at fault.

(but thats subject to change too.......hence my best learned rules as stated earlier!!!)
:DAmen, Brother!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts