Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We decided to roll the dice by starting up north by ourselves on the 810 in the pretty sat shot water that we had hoped to find with less if any tide to make jigging easier than in the rippin Gulf stream. The water was a little dull looking to me and about 67-69 degrees. We covered from 810-830 in & out till about 10:30 or 11:00? when I started getting nervous of a possible skunk:sweatdrop:. Lots of bait marks (I think Squid), a Mako who stole the middle chain & hook rig from my bird bar :help: & one other shark encounter with only a few actual 20-22fathom Bluefin marks to show for our efforts.

I'm not gonna say that there are no fish in that blended eddy cause I defiantly saw a few solid Bluefin marks & we didn't spend nearly enough time to say for sure plus we were only one boat. I hope someone from VB gives this water a better shot cause if you find them out of the tide it could be a blast on the jigs. I don't think anyone besides me has even tried it since the aggressive (feeding) fish have still been in the tide overboard just like this time last year.

OK so what happened. We pulled lines & ran south into a solid fog bank setting back out on the 600 line way overboard around noon where a handful of boats incl, Dog House, Big Tahuna, Canyon Runner & Sea Breeze were all in various stages of battle with more big tuna. Man both the 6oft Howell & Sullivan customs sure look nice fighting fish with the fog lifting in the background while the sun was just starting to peak back trough. As soon as we set back out we crossed the thick marks & we too were hooked up. We managed 5 fish (mostly overs) by lines out at around 3:00pm. Nice ride in as the wind fell out even more as the day went on.

I had hoped for a shot tomorrow (Sat 26th) but just called all my crew to bag it. Looks like unless sailing from Hatteras, it will be a short window which with fuel closing in on $400 a gal isn't worth a short day let alone fighting a crappy early morning start when tomorrow the tide should be falling against the existing NE swell. I'm sure the fleet will sail if the inlet is OK in the AM but at only 37ft. I will opt to wait it out for a bit better weather. I have heard more good news of both Yellowfin & Mahi heading up from the south. Also it is good to hear of the Wahoo bites reported out of Morehead. As crappy as this weather has been, I bet that things are gonna turn around & get just right before long. I here it's suppose to snow up north again this weekend.:nono:

Good luck to who ever goes. I will be out now for a while. Got a lot of work back up north to knock back until then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
Possible light snow accumulations called for late Saturday night into early sunday morning in the Annapolis / Baltimore, Md. region. I hope this is winters last gasp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,814 Posts
You caught one you caught them all... pretty soon the small rods come back out and we are hitting yft and mahi. Can't wait. You watch I will get mine in the next week....
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top