Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It was a bit rough out in the bay so we decided to try out the Rappahannock this afternoon. We launched out of Thomas Landing around 11am. We were about 2 miles west of the Rt3 bridge along the southern channel edge and the line started peeling off the rod with a menhaden colored stretch 25. After a nice 15-20min fight we got him on the boat. It looks like he managed to get free of the hook in his lip but there was another treble hook in his side (with very minor damage). It took a minute to get the hook out so we sacrificed trying to take a nice glorious picture to make sure he safely and quickly got back in the water (we'll get one next time :))). We didn't get to measure him either but he appeared 15-20lb and 36-38". He just barely squeezed in the 36" net.

It appears we got another knockdown on the menhaden colored stretch about an hour earlier but lost the hookup before I got to the rod. I removed the barbs on that lure since I thought it was required during C+R. The marine police pulled us over and didn't seem to even mention it, he did tell us he found someone trying to keep a 30lber.

When we circled back later we noticed what appeared to be a constant stream of bait about 35' in 50' deep water. Also water temps were about 48-49*F

Couldn't imagine a better way to spend the weekend!

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
The Rapp is full of nice fat cows right now. We fished both yesterday and today and had plenty of tuggage from nice fish ranging in size from under the slot up to around 40 inches. Most of the fish came from deep water pulling baits almost on the bottom. The largest fish weighed in at almost 40 lbs. Plenty of bait in the river right now and the warmest water we were fishing was today and that was 45-46 degrees, as yesterday it was 43-44 degrees. Good luck to any of you that head out there, these nice fish won't be around too long as they look like they are about to bust with roe.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Glad to hear the cows are coming home. After last Fall I wasn't sure they remembered where the Rapp was. This time of year, I try to get the hook out without taking the fish out of the water in hopes that will give maximum chance of survival to make lots of little rockfish. The pullage not the measurage is what I am interested in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts