Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry folks, but it goes with the territory with what we are doing at Special Angler and this ongoing VMRC six-catch-and-release tournament. These anglers keep pulling up the strangest fish. I keep thinking that I won't see anything new, but just this past weekend I encountered two new mystery fish. I've already combed the field guide, so you don't have to bug me about that resource: http://www.chesapeakebay.net/fieldguide/categories/category/fish

Our leaderboard is rocking if you want to see what the Jr. and Special Anglers are dragging in: http://content.fishdispatch.com/Leaderboards/SpecialAnglerVMRCLeaderboard.html

Here is the first strange fish, caught at the mouth of the Bay on the Bay Bridge Tunnel Pier on Friday.

MysteryFish6.jpg

Here is the second mystery, caught yesterday (Sunday) on the Cape Charles Pier.

MysteryFish.jpg

Any help you can provide would be appreciated. You can see all the non-mystery catches on our Facebook page and the Leaderboard. The Jr.s and Specials brought in quite haul this past weekend. They are all tuning their game and picking up National Ranking points leading into the upcoming showdown heating up for the Dream Fields Mack tournament this coming August 22nd.

Joe posts ....

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Country Water, thanks for the ID on the Gag Grouper. Awesome. What a shock. How did you know???

Rgardn2, I was wondering Pig Fish too (except for clear jelly like wings). We had been catching quite a few off the pier with the anglers on Friday, but I was not around when this fish was caught on Sunday. The mystery for me are those silhouette wings on the bottom and in front of the mouth ... kinda of like it is draped in clear plastic bag.

Fortunately, because this Special Angler adult had already reached his six species, I'm not forced to adjudicate on this one. It may remain the "Mystery Fish". If this was a Jr. Angler, and he was going for the state record based on elapsed time, we would have to adjudicate, because so much is on the line with these kids in terms of the money and the prestige. They start texting and sending emails every couple of hours to know the status :wink44:

You just got me thinking .... I wonder if this fish had been draped in a Jelly Fish???? That would explain the wings in this picture.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have caught small gag grouper at the CBBT in year's past so know they come around. Can't tell what the other one is but would love to know.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I don't think it's a jelly fish around a pig fish, I think it's an issue with the photo (eg. fish flopped while picture was being snapped or something similar).

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RGardn2,

Right .... good theory. The Special Angler took a selfie from an iPhone. Amazing that the silhouette was under and also above the head. I think this is how we end up with haunted houses too ... ghosts that appear in the picture afterwards.

I'm just glad that we weren't dealing with a potential State record over this ... or that the angler's tournament results would be impacted in any way. This angler (Joe Gittinger of Cape Charles) now has eight verified different catch-and-release species. He only needed six to capture first place.

The Special Angler suggested to me last night via email that we extend this tournament to as many different species, not just six species. I like the idea ... cause we wouldn't award final placement in the tournament until the conclusion of our season. It could potentially create a very interesting race to the finish with Special Angler families racing south as the summer fish leave the north.

We're considering that for all the divisions (Jr., Jr. Special, and Adult Special), with money purses in each division. All the Jr anglers would still get the VMRC award after six species have been recorded, but the final prize money would not be awarded until the end of the year.

Joe posts . . .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts