Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week my motor (1986 OMC 2.5L 155hp SeaDrive) went limp.
A mechanic checked and found compression on one cylinder was 35 and others 80-90. He suggested I replace head with at least 130 pounds pressure on cyls. This would probably cost me $2800-$3200. I'm told I could use OMC, Johnson or Evinrude 140 to 175hp. My boat (20' SportCraft CC) will take up to a 200hp. Budget Boats in Chesapeake has motors $2000-$3000. They say I could mount a motor to the SeaDrive bracket. Not sure if I should go with the new head or another motor. What do you think?

Thanks for any help...Harry

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Your motor is twenty years old, You should definitely go for the new motor, If you rebuild/ replace the head your still dealing with a 20 year old motor, which will need other things in the near future. Don't base your desicion on just the price of the head, because as soon as a mechanic gets that thing off he's probably going to tell you the cylinders need work. After 20 years of running that is going to be a big part of your compression problem ( the cylinders) They score and deteriorate over the years and begin to lose compression when the piston rings no longer form a complete seal between your crank case and compression chamber.

Not to mention the fuel efficency and weight reduction of a newer motor.

I am in the process of rebuilding my motor, which is ussually a better alternative to buying a new one, but mine is only a 2003.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. My motor man has a lead on a low hours 1991 175hp for < $2000. Would be able to use the power head and maybe other parts. He said cannot mount another motor to my transom since I have a seadrive. I assume he means would be a lot of trouble and money.

Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone know where I can get no so old motors for my situation? I will ask my motor man about pistons,,,etc possible problems. Anyone have experience with motors from Budget Boats?

Thanks...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts