Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any experience with Outboard Hydrofoil Stabilizers such as Stingray, Doelfin, etc. Got a Montauk 17 with a 90 Merc two stroke and have a portside stern mounted electric trolling motor. Hear the hydrofoil stabilizers save gas. With the gas prices climbing considering mounting one of these on the outboard? Wondering if they really save gas and if there is any negative impact on the trolling motor other than clearance between the wings of the stabilizer and the trolling motor? Normally run the trolling motor with the 90 Merc up to cut down on drag. Do the stabilizers really keep the bow down and cut porpoising? Which of the stabilizers work best?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I installed the SE Sports on my twin 150 Yamaha's that I have on my 26 Grady White. They really keep the bow down. My trim tabs did not give me enough control. I dont know about saving gas; when I sue them it is rough and I am slowing the boat down because of the sea state. Before I had hydrofoils I could run 12 MPH and 25 MPH but nothing in the middle due to the planning hump. Now I can run anywhere inbetween and keep the bow down.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just curious, most of us seem to think the foils do something positive. Why are outboards not manufactured with them designed in?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Outcast I think the reason is that all boats don't need them. A boat with very little of its weight in the bow is a prime candidate for fins, but a heavy bowed boat probably wouln't need them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Buy them! year`s ago I had a 17' bowrider that did`nt handle at all. Put the doelfin on an it was like a new boat! Jeff

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gents--Thanks for all the help. Got a Stingray XP--mounted it. Tricky part, was getting it centered on the merc cavitation plate, which has a hump in it--making centering a challenge. It looks like little B2 chasing the prop. Looking forward to getting it out on the water and controlling that bow better. It's amazing how little weight exists in the the Montauk bow, even with one adult forward. Also added some torque equilizers. In the past, turning the wheel to port at high speed could sometimes give you an upper body workout.

Thanks again!

Steve

·
Registered
421 Posts
I agree they're great things. I've got a 17 Sea Pro DC with 90 Evinrude and added the SE Sport hydrofoil that I'd used on my last boat, and works great. What I really like about them is they really help with the side to side sway on choppy water.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
steve00,
I recently upgraded my 1700 CC Proline to a 90 Merc OptiMax.
I originally had installed the Dol-Fin, from Davis Instruments on my old motor and i was very happy with its performance.
I transferred the Dol-Fin from the old motor to the new and I am still very pleased.
even though the new motor is 70# heavier she still jumps up on plane, planes at a lower speed and is much more stable at top end.
i think you will be very happy when you get it wet for the first time this season.
good luck

Mark

170CC Proline
MSSA (NW Chapter)

·
Registered
77 Posts
im repowering from 150 to 175 hp on my 21 cc. had the doelfins on the old motor and i wouldnt be without them. jumped up on plane in 3 seconds..i think im gonna try the perma trims they adv on another website. they have a lot more surface space for more lift and all reports are good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts