Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I have had trouble getting one of my outboards to go in gear. It is a 200 yamaha. The engine runs fine and will go into gear most of the time, but sometimes it just grinds and will not go. Is this just something in the cable that needs to be adjusted? It goes into reverse fine. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
It sounds like the shift lever is not fully shifting into gear. This will cause it to engage some of the time but not all of the time. If you remove the cover and observe the linkage as somone pushes the throttle as to put it in gear you will get the direction the shifter moves( this is done with the motor not running). Then you will need to adjust the cable so it pulls or pushes the shifter father in that direction. Make a little adjustment and then try starting the motor and shifting into forward and then reverse and continue this process until you have corrected the problem. The adjustment is on the cable which turns eather way to make the throttle longer or shorter where it goes into the motor housing. There will be a part that will lock it into place which you will need to be loosend so you can make the adjustments. You do need to check both forward an reverse with the motor running while making the ajustments so you know both are working because ajusting can and will effect reverse if you over ajust. I based this on how my Johnson is set up but it is a pretty common set up which should be about the same on most O/B. Good luck.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an update....turns out the gear cable had been slipping out of where is fits into. Took 30 sec. to fix.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts