Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I have been fishing the bay for years, I have not owned an outboard until last year. When trimming out the outboard do you guys run yours the whole way down or leave it up a little. My boat does have trim tabs if that makes a difference.
Another question I have is, when I tried crabbing last year my boat at idle was to fast to run a trotline. I even tried dragging (3) 5 gallon buckets behind the boat but was still to fast (shouldn't have sold the skiff :oops:). If I tilt my outboard way up would that slow it down a considerable amount, is it bad to run the boat with the outboard tilted up enough that it will slow the boat that much.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
It all depends on how the boat is loaded, the sea state, direction of travel, etc. I've found that with OB boats, I use the engine trim to set the fore and aft(pitch) attitude of the boat, and use the tabs to level it out side to side(roll). Lots of times my boat will tend to lean into the wind while running with the wind from the side, and the tabs make it easy to level it out. Generally, on smooth water, I'll accelerate to cruising speed with the motor somewhere just shy of all the way down, then trim the nose up until I get cavitation or it starts to porpoise. In higher sea states, I tend to trim nose down to get better penetration into the waves. But every boat is different, my boat is very light for it's size(21', but aluminum- a comparable size glass boat outweighs mine by at least 2-3000lbs). Best bet is to go out and play and find out what works for your rig.
Pat in Joppa

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
Like Hackey says.

You should find your sweet spot depending on conditions and load.
Mike

·
Premium Member
26,179 Posts
I trim my outboards so cowling is more / less level to surface of water. Once at say 4,000 RPM - I watch GPS for speed - let's say 27 knots.

Trimming up a touch will often get more speed - to say 30 knots - yet RPM stays same. It is amazing how a little trim up / down will effect speed.

This is on calm days. On rougher days - I try to get smooth ride with trim tabs first , then will trim outboards slightly down to get better bite in water.

It does take away from MPG overall but does smooth ride out.

·
Registered
583 Posts
For Crabbing - You will normally have to bump it in and out of gear to run a trot line. I try and lay with the wind so I don't even have to put it in gear. But if you cant, you might have to pop it in and out as you go (hard to do that and crab solo). Make sure you don't have the motor up too high and your water pump stops grabbing water.

·
Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My busines
5,151 Posts
Check the RPM at idle. It could be too high causing you to go too fast to run the trot line.
Most O/B motors run OK at 700 RPM idle in gear.
Check the owner's manual if you have one or ask a dealer of the brand motor you have about what idle RPM should be. Then adjust the in gear idle RPM of your motor to that recommendation. You can also try slowing it down slightly with the idle adjustment screw to see if it fits your situation for running the trot line.

The other thing you want to check is if you have the proper propeller pitch.
It is correct if at wide open throttle and trimmed for the fastest measured speed, the RPMs are within the manufacturer's recommended range. This varies with each motor.

To properly address your question requires additional specific information.

·
Premium Member
26,179 Posts
If a few 5 gallon buckets does not get you slow enough - look into a drift sock or sea anchor. Same idea - just much more drag.

·
Registered
14,077 Posts
When my outboard is all the way down, if I let go of the steering wheel, my boat will turn sharp right. While I am running at 3500 rpm's, I trim the motor up until I can let go of the wheel and the boat tracks straight. It also picks up speed as the bow rises..............Gary

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info. Crabby and Son thanks a lot. My outboard always pulls the boat to the left, I'm interested in trimming up a little and see if it lessens that pull.
BTW, I'm pretty sure my boat is overpowered. 24' Chaparrel fisherman with a 300hpdi.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts