Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did any of you guys catch that show on friday about the kayak fishing?

Overall it was not bad - they had good ideas that I have not seen before - a fighting chair in the back of their yaks with a foot holder spread perpendicualr to fight fish. And it was set on a cutting board so it doubled for preping bait.

The things that I didn't really like were -

1. the talk of "when everyone else is using motorboats in the country, look at how these guys in hawaii are pioneering a new type of fishing" or something to that effect. But the guy they were using as the expert got into it 1.5 years ago. Correct me if I am wrong but the guys in the Mid-Atlantic have been doing it much longer and much better in my opinion.

2. They used a boat as a mothership to ride 3 miles then launched and caught fish. I have to give them credit, those were some big sharks and they were fishing in water 500'-3000' deep, but there was no paddling involved! I would have liked to have seen them launch from shore then fish. I think they may have missed some of the benefit of kayak fishing (portability).

BTW, they were using OK Prowlers - 15's maybe.

Just my thoughts.

Mike

·
Registered
284 Posts
There are some really good guys out that way that actually kayak fish by launching from the shore and chase big sharks (threshers) and big sea bass. There are groups in San Diego that fish from La Jolla cove and mothership over to San Clemente Island that have been doing it for several years now. They are some of the pioneers of extreme yak fishing. I saw the show too, it was okay but could have had more of a focus on unassisted kayak fishing, which is what appeals to most kayak fisherman. You can film from a yak and they could have had the camera boat meet them out there. Overall, it was a good show and at least someone did it on a mainstream show, the other guys on OLN are scared to do it bacause they feel it is too great a liability.
Chad

·
Registered
490 Posts
I caught that show and it was a breath of fresh air.....if I see one more walleye or pike or keep hearing those minnesota accents....I'm gonna chit!!!

Mike-you catch anything with the new craft yet? Mine's gonna see it's first ocean duty next week.

-Dave

·
Registered
490 Posts
They drive me nuts that's what!!!!

the worst part is the shows are downright BORING!!!! At least they've finally found a way to spice up some BASS stuff on ESPN...OLN needs some help though.

the whole jesus freak stuff gets old too.

-Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts