Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to head down that way next week and am wondering if anyone has some advice on where to fish in the Sound. Will be staying in Kill Devil Hills and plan to bring my 18' boat.

Any special techniques for this time of year?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

·
Registered
14,332 Posts
Going to head down that way next week and am wondering if anyone has some advice on where to fish in the Sound. Will be staying in Kill Devil Hills and plan to bring my 18' boat.

Any special techniques for this time of year?

Thanks in advance.

Tom
If you have never fished that area, I would leave the boat home and take a few guided trips. It cost alot to tow a boat down there, buy an out of state license and fish blind. After you learn the fishery and area, you could decide if it's worth bringing your boat. Lot of stress can be avoided. If you decide to take it, I wish you all the best........ Gary

·
Registered
136 Posts
There should be bluefish around the inlet. Redfish and trout should also be on flats over grass in shallower water. Bluefish will be easier to find than reds and trout; you can usually see them breaking water in the afternoons. Nothing big - generally 12-16 inches. Gary's suggestion isn't a bad one either. Even one trip the day you get there would make the rest of your time on your own boat more productive.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Cast net some mullet and put one on a fishfinder rig with a 1/0 octopus hook on a 24" leader. Maybe a 1/2 ounce egg sinker. Cast in a fan pattern and hop it in a few feet every minute or so. Sometimes cut mullet works better than live. Shrimp work great, too, but the pinfish will drive you nuts.

I've caught a lot of flounder, reds, blues and trout near the bridges and main channels.

GOOD FISHING TO YOU!

-TH

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Google the following: Oregon Inlet Fishing Center, Frank and Fran's Tackle, Hatteras Harbor. They all post fishing reports daily.

There's a ramp on the west side of the Roanoke Island bridge and at Oregon Inlet. At Hatteras Village use the pay ramp at Teach's Lair.

Watch those channel markers. There's a ton of shallow water down there. Good luck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I did the same a few years ago and I would advise the following:

Don't fish out of Kill Devil Hills. That is primarily a fresh water area. Sightsee or crab but better fishing would be done by trailering to Manteo and putting in at the Municipal pier under the bridge. Head South and explore the Guts that go back West toward Wanchese. Drift through them on an outgoing tide for Hardhead and especially near the mouths of guts for Flounder. If you get lucky you could cast net for fresh shrimp back there. I think you can keep 100 per person or use for bait. You could also trailer down to Oregon Inlet and fish the guts near the bridge or Sound if it's not too windy. This time of year you could troll Clarks for Blues or maybe Spanish.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I did the same a few years ago and I would advise the following:

Don't fish out of Kill Devil Hills. That is primarily a fresh water area. Sightsee or crab but better fishing would be done by trailering to Manteo and putting in at the Municipal pier under the bridge. Head South and explore the Guts that go back West toward Wanchese. Drift through them on an outgoing tide for Hardhead and especially near the mouths of guts for Flounder. If you get lucky you could cast net for fresh shrimp back there. I think you can keep 100 per person or use for bait. You could also trailer down to Oregon Inlet and fish the guts near the bridge or Sound if it's not too windy. This time of year you could troll Clarks for Blues or maybe Spanish.
Good info
We put a smack down on fish last summer out of Oregon inlet on kayaks. Fish back bays around the bridge and find the deep guts and marsh areas where tide lines are created. We where in sight of the bridge all day. Nice flounder bluefish and reds. 1/4 ounce jig head with gulps. Take plenty of gulps white and chartreuse

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all for the great advice (and warnings)....much appreciated. I'm leaning on taking the boat (kids also want to wakeboard) and getting a near shore charter. Will definitely surf fish too.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Thanks to all for the great advice (and warnings)....much appreciated. I'm leaning on taking the boat (kids also want to wakeboard) and getting a near shore charter. Will definitely surf fish too.
Almost forgot. Messed around for a few hours behind whalebone tackle before Oregon inlet on the yaks last summer. Busted my red cherry right there with a 29incher lol. Gold weed less spoon

·
Registered
631 Posts
The bridge on the causeway to Manteo for trout and crabs.The surf with light tackle for flounder,trout,blues.Surf fish may be in close to shore in the summer.Ask where to fish in any tackle shop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts