Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get into the outrigger business and want to know how to set the releases (Blacks). Do you do it with a scale or the WAG? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
55 Posts
whats the WAG, i mean its just depends what type of fishing your doing, if your using tag lines to pull lures for marlin, then yes u should use a scale, for most other practical uses of clips just hand test them with line through clip[, but the reason we set balcks clips when using tag lines for pulling lures is that on our boat we want the clip to release the line at 15lbs of pressure with large lures for blue ones mainly, and 8lbs for small lures(whites and sails), u essentially want the fish to be hooked immediately at strike with lure with j-hooks, for tuna fishing with ballyhoos u want the release clip set so tight ht e thing is hooked before the clip releases, the same idea should be employed for using outriggers and pulling parachutes and umbrellas for rockfish, u want the clip set tight so the fish is hooked before the clip pops, these lures have weight and two hooks usually, so there is no real use to a drop back bc u will lose more fish, the riggers just help keep lines from tangling and spread out further obviously, but the dropback does not really an advantage here. I check the clips with a drag while marlin fishing lures daily or even a couple times a dayto make sure they are at the right setting, the first reason being that i want the best chance i trhink i have for hooking fish, the second reason (much more important than the first) is that i do not want a clip that will not release under a substantial amount of pressure which say for example a blue marlin piles on the long rigger and the clip is so tight that it folds the rigger before the clip breaks. I worked on a boat in hatteras and a previous mate on that boat who was considered one of the top rated mates in the world got lazy and had this happen to him. But If i were you and was planning on setting clips real tight I would scale test them first and fiind out what best suits different types of fishing, if using a medium or light setting just use your hand and your touch

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Set em pretty tight cuz u want to drive that hook home. If u're using a stock OTC halyard, the bungee is waaaay tooo long, absorbs too much of the shock. Shorten them to like 2" and u will get a firm set and release. Rock typically will not release my clips (Rupp rollers) and I've even had decent bft not release them.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good info. I guess I'll use the sixteen inch bungees as a cooler tie down. Thanks for the help gentlemen.

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Depending on what you are dragging- you might want to try the Aftco roller trollers.I like them because you can set them very precisely and the lures don't get yanked through the water like with a Black clip.The roller acts like a shock absorber.They also allow you to reel in/let out line if needed.

For the bay- I like a medium tight clip and a fairly tight drag on the reel.If it is all set up right- the fish (decent size) will get hooked - then pull a touch of drag.The angler should be the one popping the clip as he reels in a touch of line.Bigger fish will pull drag- then pop the clip themselves.

Be sure the rod holder secures the rod.Each year a few guys lose rod/reel to a fish that yanks a rod out from the holder.The rod/reel flies up to the clip- then goes into the water :eek:.It's all about the angle of the line to the clip - a short safety line never hurts.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i nagree with sailfish 27, but try and find nthe old style aftco roller trollers they are better than then the new ones, they wilkl make your life much easier and they dont yank ur klures through water which is not improtant for rockfish trolling with sassy shad lures

·
Registered
55 Posts
o yea and i prefer to use 400lb mono or rope in place of bungees and i prtefer to use 400lb mono for halyards, ive used 500 in hopes of better gripping but 400 is just more supple and pliable, i use pulleys on every eye on rigger that has a halyard line running out of and back down to gunnel, and on my snubber i use pulleys as well, problem is ypou have halyard creep so either use those hal-locks(which lock each halyard down seperately) or a pulley and clamp all lines together with a single longline clip

1 - 10 of 10 Posts