Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bougth a new boat and it has outriggers & downriggers. I want to pull umbrella rigs, are they to heavy for outrigger. I was told umbrella rigs would bend the outriggers and the release clips will not hold. If you know I could use your help.:fishing2:

·
Premium Member
26,137 Posts
Umbrellas are tough for outriggers-you might want to try the small 6 arm ones without any extra weights.Aftco roller trollers are good clips for outriggers.The down riggers are better for the umbrellas-use a Blacks downrigger release clip.Set the weight at 20-35'.We set the lures about 40' behind the ball. Skip

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
I have had really good luck with smaller umbrellas on the inside clips on my outriggers, usually just run a tandem or daisy chain on the outer clips.

Dave

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Depending on what riggers you have. If they are rigged with two seperate lines you should be able to at least run the smaller frames from the shorts. Might be a little much for the longs ( tips). Planer boards would be a better bet to get the umbrellas out. With that said my boards will be home opening day...we are using outriggers. I expect it to be a little crowded;)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Also on the downriggers take the cable line off them and spool with spectra or 400 pound mono to reduce sound emissions

·
Registered
454 Posts
So long as you don't try to pull the big 18-24" umbrellas with 16oz+ extra weight you should do fine.

I only pull umbrellas except on my wayback line. I use a variety of sizes from 8" to 24" umbrellas. I used to use outriggers till I started pulling planer boards. I never had problems with my umbrella rigs on the o/r's even using the 12" size.

There are a lot of different umbrella frames out there, but I've found that I prefer the ones that Tyler's sells in Chesapeake Beach.

As far as release clips go, I don't really care for the roller trollers for bay fishing. It doesn't seem like you can put enough tension on them to hold heavy drag baits.

I agree with hd232 on the downrigger line. If you topshot the D/R's with spectra or dacron, you will want to put down some mono backer to prevent the braided line from digging into the D/R spool.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts