Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of making myself a set of outriggers for my Manta Ray 12. I'm not planning on standing or even knealing in my yak, but still can't seem to reach behind me without shaking the yak so bad I'm yelling out "EEEEHHHHH!" :eek2:

Here's my plan.

Run a piece of PVC pipe out of each rod holder so that each are sticking up about a foot or so. Put T fittings on the top or them. Drill a hole through the bottom of the T fittings and the top of the pipes so that I can install a clip to allow me to remove the whole system (the flush mount rod holders are angled).

Cut a 2X6 piece of wood that is about the same width as the kayak. Using U-bolts, secure the sides of the T fittings to the board.

Run 2 pieces of PVC roughly 3 to 4 feet long off each side of the kayak. Figure out at what angle I'd have to install them, and simply using U-bolts to secure them to the 2X6. At the ends Install T fittings. On each end of the T fittings install a piece of PVC about 12'' long. Then slide a hollow pool noodle over each of them and secure with tie wraps (big zip ties).

On the inside of the hull of the yak I'd have to drill a hole through the bottom of the flush mount rod holders with the PVC pipes in them so I could install a clip to prevent them from pulling out of messing anything up.

I'm still uncertain as to how to make the wide system collaspable.

Any more ideas are welcome.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
cabelas has a setup in their catalouge. have you seen it yet? i'll post a url in a bit

OOPS...nevermind. Looks like thiers is for canoes and it's $209 :eek: ouch

I have some idea brewing...

I guess you would want to be able to retract and deploy these as needed whil on the water. Covering some ground with them in I imaging could be a pain ?

That homemade rig in the above attached url looks like a great start....How simple does it need to be for you.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Checking out the home made rig, I'd say make a pivot so the whole thing can flip back up to you (similar to a bimini) getting it within easy reach for you, where then you could add pins and sleeves in the horizontal pipe. Wehn it's within reach, pull a pin spin the outrigger up and out of the water, put the pin back in, and set the whole setup back down where it was towards the rear of the yak.

I also think that instead of straps I'd use a pad eye down lower Under the outrigger which would go from the outrigger through the pad eye and to the cockpit where you could sinch it tight and down.

I could sketch 'cause my explanations are horrible.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Ricky I thought of doing the same thing at one time but using 2inch T's right where you come out of the rod holder.Reduce the middle hole in the T which will go into the rod holder to the size pipe that will go into the rod holder .Iknow there is a compond angle that would have to be dealt with coming out of the rod holders that may take a 22 deg angle fittting.
I also wondered if the rod holders would take the pressure the is put on them.
They may pop out since they are only put in with rivets or screws on the top edge.
Last year "villagerecorder" had pictures of his hobie sport on here with some out riggers he had made himself .You might search for the pictures on the Market Board..
He had it for sale at one time since he bought a CC boat but did never see if he sold it or not .You might contact him and get some ideas.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
If you go to using tees out of the rod holders then if you look at a hardware, pool, or fence place, you should be able to get a 1-1/2" cross piece that would allow you to use the rod holder for the rod still.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
with some searching on kfs in the diy forum, you will find step by step instructions/pictures of this exact setup. This person also added some pivot to where the floats connected to the main arm, so that they would give some in choppy water, etc... basically let the floats level themselves. The person who posted (some time ago) noted a significant improvement in stability using the PVC/poolnoodle method.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts