Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just turned 65 several days ago - that's the good news - I'm still here.

The BAD news is that the over 65 ramp permit that was issued for free for over 65 resident has been rescinded by the Mayor and City Council. I just sent the HdG government an email expressing how this pisses me off. I also reassured them that since they have no regard for senior citizens and a benefit that was provided to them for years is now gone, that I will no longer use Tydings Park, attend any events in HdG, and will no longer spend any money in any HdG store or restaurant.

Don't get me wrong, I can afford to pay as I have done for years (make that decades) - it is the principle of the thing. This is my own opinion and I promised the mayor and his city council I would let everyone know about this change. I'm sure the tens of thousands of $$$'s they plan to collect from the handful of over 65's who qualified for this benefit in the past will help the town balance their books in say, 50-100 years.

I am now off my soap box.

Chuck Housman

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Hope Social security is still there when I turn 65. Call Hogan, maybe he can persuade them to put it back. Guy is busting his ass to help working MD residents.

·
Registered
211 Posts
bayhead, hope you don't get equally as irate when you have to pay $5.00 for the previously free senior consolidated MD fishing license. On a happier note, for just $10.00 you can get a golden age pass for MD state parks that will last as long as you do. Get it from the park office at sandy point and you'll also get the swipe card that lets you skip the lines on weekends. As per the Gov. the pass also covers the ramp fee ,

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
bayhead, hope you don't get equally as irate when you have to pay $5.00 for the previously free senior consolidated MD fishing license. On a happier note, for just $10.00 you can get a golden age pass for MD state parks that will last as long as you do. Get it from the park office at sandy point and you'll also get the swipe card that lets you skip the lines on weekends. As per the Gov. the pass also covers the ramp fee ,
I got mine last week. I was in and out in less than 5 minutes with my lifetime pass and the swipe card.

You are eligible for that pass at age 62.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Capt C-Hawk - You are correct about my being irate over this issue. On the other hand you are right and I DO have the $5.00 senior consolidated license ($5.00) and I got my Golden Age pass in November.

I simply wanted to let everyone know about this change to the HdG ramp pass.

Funny story with the DNR - when I stopped in the Bel Air office to purchase the $5.00 license they informed me that I had three (3) DNR #'s and that they showed me as being born on 1/1/1900. I look pretty good for a guy going on 116 years old - even if I do say so myself!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Thanks for the info, Bayhead. Even though I am from PA I was able to take advantage of the HDG pass for one year which saved me about $200. I will continue to use Tyding's despite the change but it annoys me as well. Seeing that there was no increase in our SS benefits for 2016 this change hurts even more. Hopefully the flats / lower susky will be on fire this year and keep us from further *****ing. Does anyone know if Lapidum is included in the Golden Age pass and if non-residents are eligible?

·
Registered
734 Posts
You don't have to be a resident to get a Golden Age pass, I have one as a PA resident. It wasn't good for boat launching before, but it's supposed to be now. Haven't been to a state park launch since the rule change to find out for sure.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lapidum is DEFINITELY included as a Golden Age pass ramp. I will be launching at Lapidum or on the other side of the river from now on. Non-residents can obtain a Golden Age pass.

Why pay $10.00 to the HdG gov't when Lapidum provides for free launching with the GA pass - it's only a couple of miles to the mouth of the river or Flats. $.50 in fuel vs $10.00 ramp fee? No brainer for me and it makes me happy to DENY the HdG mayor and city council any of my $$$. Again, it's the principle of the thing. Great promotional decision by the town for tourism and their local businesses.

·
Registered
825 Posts
"Don't get me wrong, I can afford to pay as I have done for years (make that decades)"

And the govt knows this.....They aint dumb. 1st world problems.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Thanks guys...I will be getting the G A pass & using the Lapidum ramp a little more often. Hope we all have a great spring.

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
Seeing that there was no increase in our SS benefits for 2016 this change hurts even more.
Here's how that story goes. .Because there is no raise in 2016, Medicare( part B) will remain the same price $105 per month (if) you have already turned 65 in 2015. If you turn 65 in 2016, you will pay around $158 a month. Next year, 2017 "all" Medicare part B recipients will pay around $158 per month. That's an increase of around 55%. With all the fishermen getting a Golden Age Pass for next year and using Lapidum ramp, we may have to fish from shore for lack of boat trailer parking spaces at the park. The shore line will be so crowded with fishermen, we'll have to bring our own rock to stand on and fish from.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Heck... I've been paying $5 for my Maryland senior consolidated fishing license for at least the past 2 years, 2014 & 2015, maybe more years but I don't know for sure. Maybe you're thinking of Washington, DC. Their resident & non-resident fishing license is free for those over 65. If checked while fishing DC waters I think all you need is your driver's license to prove your age.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Heck... I've been paying $5 for my Maryland senior consolidated fishing license for at least the past 2 years, 2014 & 2015, maybe more years but I don't know for sure. Maybe you're thinking of Washington, DC. Their resident & non-resident fishing license is free for those over 65. If checked while fishing DC waters I think all you need is your driver's license to prove your age.
I got 1 free year in 2013 but the last three have been $5.00 (including 2016). DC is free for anyone 65. Remember everyone running a boat needs a safe boating certificate.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for posting the link to the GAP. I use that ramp most of the time and am a senior from Pa. It just seems that older can't get a break no matter what sport it is

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks for posting the link to the GAP. I use that ramp most of the time and am a senior from Pa. It just seems that older can't get a break no matter what sport it is
Merril,even with the pass you'll still need to hit the spsp office for your swipe card. The lift gate is the only way to smuggle in passengers. Otherwise they charge by the head. The gap is only for the holder.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
This was helpful, thanks. Picked up my GAP and swipe card Friday at SPSP. Also have the National Park Pass, already used it at Acadia and Assateague National Parks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts