Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, this is the deal. I had my water pump replaced last Dec, it was over heating while I was going slow.. This spring, I noticed while I go over over 2,000 or 3000 RPM's my temp goes from 150-160 up to 180.. I just was doing a test with my planner boards and noticed it.. I talked to my mec. and he it shouldn't be a problem, just give it some gas every once in a while.

Mer 150 Carb

What do you all think? Am I going to run into some big problems this weekend?

·
Registered
636 Posts
I ran two '95 Merc 150's last season and they always ran ~ 140 to 145° F at all speeds. 160 or 180° is NOT OK. Something's clearly wrong. When did you last change the Tstats or service the poppet valve?

Maybe you need a new mechanic? The guy is clearly wrong on this one.

Jim

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Have you checked you're thermostat? That could be the problem. If you haven't, you can use a thermometer and a pot of boiling water. Just drop your thermstats in the pot of water and watch the thermometer to see when they open.

- Dae

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I had my thermostat was replaced last spring and my water pump replaced just this past fall.

An update, and thanks for your response, I took it to the dealer, I didn't buy it their, but they sell mine.. I bought mine used, its a 2000,.. The service guy said, my thermostat only opens when I go
fast.. He also said it was normal for water to be coming out of the pee hole, not at a full stream when I am going slow.. They are going to check it out.. But when I said, is it normal for the temperature to go from 145-150 to 180, while I am going slow.. He didn't say much..

Thanks again,
Ken

·
Registered
173 Posts
Ken, when at idle speed, the thermostats control the engine temperature. As speed is increased (and inlet waterpressure) the control over temeraure is a combination of poppet valve and thermostats. replace them BOTH (there are 2) and for the 30$ in parts, I'd replace the Poppet valve seat, diaphram and spring. Good luck, Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.