Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys... Thinking about moving up, what are your thoughts on the Yamaha 2-stroke ox66 saltwater series 250s. They are 2001's and have 1250hrs. They start right up and have been well maintained.

What are some things to look for and check before I buy? Any well known issues?

I don't want to have to repower in a years time....

·
Registered
491 Posts
Guys... Thinking about moving up, what are your thoughts on the Yamaha 2-stroke ox66 saltwater series 250s. They are 2001's and have 1250hrs. They start right up and have been well maintained.

What are some things to look for and check before I buy? Any well known issues?

I don't want to have to repower in a years time....
the ox66's are great motors. probably one of the most reliable 2 strokes ever. they love gas and burn a ton of it but are sound motors otherwise. the biggest issue is that they're 14 years old and despite how good they are a lot can happen in 14 years. if the price is right go for it. I'd have them thoroughly checked and you should be good. they'll burn a lot of oil along with the gas

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
I agree with Captain Mike. Those have a great reputation besides being thirsty. 14 year old 2 stroke with over 1200 hours though. I would do it if the price were right, but when you smoke a powerhead in a year it shouldn't come as a surprise.

·
Registered
95 Posts
That Grady white 300 marlin is bad ass man. The hull is clean with not one gelcoat crack which surprised the hell out of me. Gel coat cracks don't mean a whole lot but to have none at that age says something . Just that hull alone is worth 30k easily so I dont think you cant go wrong.

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
Rule of thumb for older outboards is 10 years or 1,000 hours.

Since these are well past both milestones - buyer beware.

As mentioned - they will guzzle fuel and $$$ two stroke oil.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
I've got 1350+ hrs on my 2001 225 SS ox66.

All the reports that I've heard is that these motors are real "work-horses with longevity" and are getting 5000hrs + with out any issues. Mine appears to be from that same mold (knock on wood)...no major issues so far. However, as others have said, they like the gas! I've thought about re-powering, but with the cost of new vs. gas & maintenance cost....I'll keep what I got!

Anyways, I'd get them compression checked by a certified Yammie mechanic. If all was good, I'd go for it as long as price was where you want it to be.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
I owned a 225 OX66 on my old Parker and liked the motor. I had one major issue due to water in the gas (so not the motor's fault!), but otherwise was quite happy. A couple of points:

(1) I found my motor to be relatively quiet and fuel efficient, at least compared to most other 2-strokes. I can't recall the exact numbers, but I do recall that my fuel numbers at cruise were very close to other guys in the Parker club running Yammie 4-strokes.

(2) Expect to need a new O2 sensor. The O2 sensors on those get gunked up/go bad every few years it seems, particularly if the previous owner did not use Ring Free. A gunked up O2 sensor will make the motor smoke much more and run rough. It's not a huge repair, but not as cheap or simple as a spark plug, either.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Vapor separator tank on my old Ox-66 hated ethanol and shed material into the fuel causing problems. Had to clean it out yearly. Suggest you have it looked at by your mechanic.....someone told me they had an updated version that was ethanol resistant but don't know if that is true. Other than that it was a great motor...power head blew at roughly 3000 hrs so didn't owe me anything.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
great motors.

have had 3, last 2x250's 2000 on a 35 Contender. strong and reliable, and as everyone has pointed out thirsty. On that hull you will get 1-1.2 mileage in a wide band of speed.

keeping up with filters, o2 sensors, low pressure pumps is just part of the game.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Vapor separator tank on my old Ox-66 hated ethanol and shed material into the fuel causing problems. Had to clean it out yearly. Suggest you have it looked at by your mechanic.....someone told me they had an updated version that was ethanol resistant but don't know if that is true. Other than that it was a great motor...power head blew at roughly 3000 hrs so didn't owe me anything.
Just curious - what sort of material was the tank shedding? I'm aware of the filter in the tank (on the bottom of the high pressure pump) getting clogged, but not the tank shedding anything. Now your upstream fuel system - definitey can be an issue....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts