Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older boat 1988 and would like to revive the oxidized gel coat finish. Does anyone have preferences and techniques on how to best get this job done?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think by now the Poliglow Co. should consider putting me on their payroll. Can't help but rave about the product. Not a wax, but a polymer. They've 1 or 2 cleaners that following directions will rid your boat of oxidation, totally clean it, stains, etc. After it's cleaned boat will look just like it did prior to removing oxidation, but wiping hand on boat there will be no oxidation. Apply poliglow with applicator, minimum of 5 coats, easier than it sounds, boat has a gloss that you wouldn't believe and lasts. This yr. I'll be re-applying to the hull, 1st time in 2 yrs. Check out their web and toll free #. They'll answer any and all questions.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
I have a 1976 boat and used 3M Fiberglass Restorer and Wax. Did an excellent job.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You can get a commercial floor wax. ( Janitorial distributors carry)and do same thing as polyglow. Have used it and so have several friends with great results. Just scrub hull and make sure it is clean and lint free. Then put on with sponge. Takes 2 coats and results are fantastic. I would put bet money that polyglow gets wax private labeled from floor wax mfg.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
I used good ole heavy oxidation remover and wax on my 1987 and it turned out good. Light coat of wax during the season and the finish stays nice. If there's color in the gel it may be a lost cause due to layup methods in older boats.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Like SandTiger said....the 3M Wax/Restorer works well. I have a newer boat that was showing some slight signs of oxidation from the sun (boat is trailered outside) and after a rubdown with the 3M product and buffing, it took it out and left a nice sheen and repellant. Periodic use will be nescessary for maintainence.

·
Registered
201 Posts
After messing around with larger boats for the last few years I can tell you I will never have gel coat again. Awlgrip is simply amazing.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
[Q]Shutterbug originally wrote:
I think by now the Poliglow Co. should consider putting me on their payroll. Can't help but rave about the product. Not a wax, but a polymer. They've 1 or 2 cleaners that following directions will rid your boat of oxidation, totally clean it, stains, etc. After it's cleaned boat will look just like it did prior to removing oxidation, but wiping hand on boat there will be no oxidation. Apply poliglow with applicator, minimum of 5 coats, easier than it sounds, boat has a gloss that you wouldn't believe and lasts. This yr. I'll be re-applying to the hull, 1st time in 2 yrs. Check out their web and toll free #. They'll answer any and all questions.
[/Q]This sounds like the same kind of product. Vertglas Gelcoat Restoration System worked great for me. It goes on just like the above product and was much easier than buffing and scrubing like most wax products. I have a 1983 and every year I had to buff and wax which lasted about half of summer and I have tried just about all brands. This produst has lasted 2 1/2 years without any care. The more coats you but on the longer it will hold up and any decals will look better. The before and after pictures on this sight are about the same result I received.
http://www.marinestore.com/vertglas.html?cart=322813536774270&e=ov&k=fiberglass%20oxidation

1 - 10 of 10 Posts