Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two from St. Michaels face oyster violations

Published: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 4:22 AM CST

ST. MICHAELS Robert T. Crouch, 31, and Gregory P. Kemp, 37, both of St. Michaels, were each charged with an oyster harvesting violation on Dec. 18 at 2:20 a.m.

Maryland Natural Resources Police charged each with landing or possessing oysters on a vessel more than two hours after sunset or anytime before sunrise.

The men were observed unloading 25 bushels of oysters from their vessel at Back Creek Wharf in St. Michaels. Kemp also was charged with operating a vessel between the hours of sunset and sunrise without proper navigation lights and failure to have a tidal fishing license available for inspection.

A court date of Feb. 19 has been scheduled for both men in Talbot County District Court.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brian - Everything moves a little slower on the Shore. The police dept oyster roast was great. Jim

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
One of our wishes for the New Year should be to hope the penalties for poaching our natural resource are greater than the profit, seems to be the case more times than not. It seems the courts don't take these cases very seriously. On that same wish list should be the demise of Omega. Oh, we can only wish. Happy New Year

Sam

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I wonder if they have any priors....

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
Both names ring a bell - and I'm really bad at names.

Until the fines are big enough to really deter poachers - it will keep happening.

·
Registered
14,411 Posts
Skip, My cousin married Honey Crouch and they lived on Kent Island. Her father was a Major on Natural Resources Police. They called him Smitty Don't know if they are all related.........Gary

·
Registered
323 Posts
One of our wishes for the New Year should be to hope the penalties for poaching our natural resource are greater than the profit, seems to be the case more times than not. It seems the courts don't take these cases very seriously. On that same wish list should be the demise of Omega. Oh, we can only wish. Happy New Year

Sam
All of these guys have priors,but none appear to be of any commercial fishing nature, so to Sam - If these guys do not have a Commercial License, then there would be no "Profit" in the equation. How would you solve it then?

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
I don't believe these were commercial as they were cited for not having a tidal license.... and I'd suspect they were selling those 25 bushels because that's alot to eat yourself.

And just a WAG but I doubt this was their first time and they were caught by accident, someone dropped a dime on them.

Take their boat and all gear.

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
Yesterday at a red light- I was next to a tractor trailer and noticed the GPS "hockey puck" on the cab.This is one that allows the company to keep track of the truck.

Wonder if DNR could require these on the commerial boats ? It would allow one officer to track all the boats and report any that are out at night or in areas deemed off limits.

I'm sure the MWA would fight it but it sure would give the DNR alot better eye on things.They could even call a boat that is close to going into closed waters - thus avoiding a fine :thumbup:.Would also be a huge safety item - some of the watermen work alone.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yesterday at a red light- I was next to a tractor trailer and noticed the GPS "hockey puck" on the cab.This is one that allows the company to keep track of the truck.

Wonder if DNR could require these on the commerial boats ? It would allow one officer to track all the boats and report any that are out at night or in areas deemed off limits.

I'm sure the MWA would fight it but it sure would give the DNR alot better eye on things.They could even call a boat that is close to going into closed waters - thus avoiding a fine :thumbup:.Would also be a huge safety item - some of the watermen work alone.
That's a GREAT idea.....I think they should be required on ALL boats. And put them on ALL cars and trucks also. That way if someone starts speeding they can just mail them the tickets.
With AVL you don't even have to monitor the system "live". You can do a manual replay of the recording and see exact speeds at exact times.

·
Registered
952 Posts
That's a GREAT idea.....I think they should be required on ALL boats. And put them on ALL cars and trucks also. That way if someone starts speeding they can just mail them the tickets.
With AVL you don't even have to monitor the system "live". You can do a manual replay of the recording and see exact speeds at exact times.
Maybe they should also put a video camera in every room in your house...... this way they can be sure no one is breaking laws regarding s*%$y.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts