Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I C&Ped the following from the main board. Dunno what to make of this. I thought I remember folks on this forum saying that oystering on the Severn was prohibited year round... or maybe were the boats doing something else???

=================================================
11-17-2008, 11:42 AM
Purtan Dog Severn River Oyster'en

I saw between 6 and 8 oyster boats working a spot just up river of the Rt. 50 bridge on the Annapolis side. Any idea what they were doing? I have never seen oyster boats in the area. Did not think there were any oysters left with the exception of a couple bars in the bay.

Just curious.

·
Registered
245 Posts
My wife called as she was crossing the Rt. 50 bridge to tell me that there were a dozen "fishing boats" all over the place in from of Weems Creek. She obviously saw the same thing. She said they were moving and not anchored. She thought they must me trolling.
Let me know what you find out.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I saw them this morning as well. For what's its worth, I also noticed markers with black flags had been set in the same area yesterday evening.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
On friday there were bouys at the mouth of Weems Creek with strobes... looked pretty official. Would be interesting to know what's up.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just read on the main board that the oyster boats in the Severn may have ben prepping an area to be planted with spat. We shall see what Goose finds out.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Saw them also...in Corddry's stomping grounds just upriver from the Creek of Cork...milling about.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Not that I may have been fishing anywhere near there. ;-)

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
I still haven't heard back from anyone since this morning, but I'm 99% sure that DNR police checked it out, so I'm also 99% sure that it's legit (i.e.- not oyster harvesting).

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com
693 Posts
Folks--

As I understand things from Stephanie Reynolds, they were watermen working in the DNR compensation program on dredging up silted-over shell and droppoing it back down clean(er) to prep the bottom for a restoration reef that the Oyster Recovery Partnership will build on a little shelf just downriver from the mouth of Luce Creek, a shell's throw from CBF's 2005 reef on the upriver side of the creek mouth, off Martins Pond. ORP had placed the buoys there to mark the spot, just as CBF & DNR did for building and planting the Asquith Reef. Feel free to take note of the location.

Best, JPW

·
Registered
151 Posts
Saw those 5 flag marks on saturday morning when I was out paddling with one of your cohorts JP (my neighbor). We thought they might be for oyster planting, but didn't know.
Nice to know my backyard fishing nieghborhood is getting an upgrade!
No GPS coordinates- but I think I can get back on em.
Thanks JP!

Dave

·
Registered
151 Posts
Greg - how is it around here? - I haven't been out much
Dave

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Dave. The last week was very kind to me in numerous creeks. Their names have been withheld to protect their innocence. :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
I saw those boats dredging in front of lake Ogleton the other morning when i was walking my dog, and had never seen them there before. They must have been dredging the silted over shells up. Glad to hear they are planting more oyster reefs, i was definitely surprised to see them dredging the other day.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Pam Woods has a front pager on this story in todays Capital.

Greg - always best to leave creeks un-named.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts