Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on paddle lengths and types...I would be using it on my sit-in blast in almost any condition, creeks, rivers, flat water, bay, ocean front near shore, inlets...

I'm not looking to break the bank but I don't want to end up with a POS....I would be looking to buy from Boater's World or BPS...

I was also wondering if there are any which have adjustable lengths...

I did do some looking around and noticed that many of the online references basically broke the length difference down between sit ins or sit on tops but I did not notice anything recommending lengths...

Please let me know if there are any that I should stay away from too...

Thanks !!!!

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
THey do not sell good paddles, go to a paddle shop and look at the bending branches or aqua bound paddles. Check out www.kayakfishingstuff.com

·
Registered
35 Posts
The paddle length depends on your size and the height of the center of the paddle shaft during your paddle stroke.
When the paddle is in the water you want most of the blade in the water. If the shaft is in the water the paddle is to long and if the blade is only half in the water the paddle is to short.
I don't remember what % of the blade should be in the water but it's up around 85 - 90%. (While using a proper stoke.)
A kayak shop can answer this question better.
As far as type of paddle. That question can get as many answers as which kayak is best to fish out of. If you think you may be paddling for several hours a light weight paddle will be apricated at the end of the day. If your looking to get a workout as you paddle a heavier paddle will give you a good workout.

Remember, your paddle is as important as your PFD. It would make for a very unhappy day if your a mile down current and paddling against the wind when your paddle breaks.

Robert

·
Registered
102 Posts
I agree with Cory. Forget Boaters World and BPS. I would go to a paddle shop and the first question I would ask the salesperson is "Do you paddle a sit inside kayak?". If not, ask for a salesperson that does.

I haven't paddled a sit inside for many years, so I can't offer any good advice. But I know the one I used back then was shorter than the 240 cm one I use for my SOT.

In hindsight, I wouldn't cheap out on a paddle or PFD. You got a great deal on the yak so you can go first class on the really important things.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I know someone who has an Aquabound CarbonFibre Expedition AMT 240cm for sale. He probably will sell it for a good price. He also has a Lotus Rio Grande PFD for sale

I have the same Aquabound paddle in the 230cm size. I bought the paddle at REI on sale for $139, regular price was $179. I used to have a Werner Camano paddle that cost me over $200. I returned the Werner paddle because I did not like it as much as the Aquabound.

I'm not sure if Aquabound makes this paddle anymore, I think they now have something called the Eagleray Carbon paddle that is similar to the Carbon Expedition AMT.

If you are a tall person then the 240cm paddle may be good for you. I'm 5'7" and thought the 240 was too long. Send me bmail if you are interested in the Aquabound CarbonFibre Expedition AMT 240cm paddle and I will contact my friend to see if he still wants to sell it.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys....I'm going to get surfing now...

The PDF i'm certainly not going to cheap out on now...but the paddle I just want to get by one step above a beater...

If everything were to "click" I could see myself grabbing anther kayak and paddle which would both be on a much higher level...but going that route now doesn't fit in my program

We're on a creek and this was something I saw as me getting my feet wet with and keeping around for the little ones to play with etc...

BTW...What is WRO ?

Fishing Rod....I appreciate the offer...I'll measure my neighbor's first and check the lengths while sitting in the kayak....240 may be too long ??

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info !!

REI has had the best info on the web I've seen yet, it was informative..

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
I have 2 paddles & 2 Kayaks.The longer 8ft.,flat bladed Olde Towne Loon paddle is easier to paddle with than the shorter 7'2'' well cupped paddleYou can dip the paddle in without as much vertical motion with the longer paddle. and make slightly longer,easier strokes.I would have thought that the cupped blade would move more water & propel faster.I can feel that more power needs to be applied to move the vessle and I tire quicker than using the longer,flat bladed paddle and actually move slower with the shorter ,cupped paddle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.