Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a couple of hours to kill waiting to pick up my daughter on campus in College Park so I took a fly rod down to Paint Branch. It's usually bluegill, fallfish and creek chubs, so I was pleasantly surprised when this guy came out of the rocks:
Picture frame Rectangle Bedrock Fish Wood

This should be a tough stream for fish to live in with all of the runoff and nasty stuff running into it, but survive they do. This one was nice and bright, no sores, but a strange body shape and jawline. He took a big olive wooley bugger.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a couple of hours to kill waiting to pick up my daughter on campus in College Park so I took a fly rod down to Paint Branch. It's usually bluegill, fallfish and creek chubs, so I was pleasantly surprised when this guy came out of the rocks:
View attachment 47273

This should be a tough stream for fish to live in with all of the runoff and nasty stuff running into it, but survive they do. This one was nice and bright, no sores, but a strange body shape and jawline. He took a big olive wooley bugger.
Where abouts on paint branch were you fishing? Down by route 1 or further up north by the park. Nice bass!

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Maybe one of the Bio. Guys here can tell us. But that sort of looks like a spotted or Kentucky bass, with that jaw line.. Did they stock some by accident? Or did one of them sneaky males get in back of the wood shed? bwahahaha:oops::eek2::hysterical:

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I think it's just a LM. But very cool though. Had no idea anyone else would even dream of fishing there. I've only been oncre or twice and have always meant to go back. I have also fished near there in that creek. Actually there was a large area of flooded forest with quite a few bass in it. Very near 495. Even saw catfish and tons of bluegill.

·
Registered
5 Posts
One positive step is the stream restoration they are doing on Paint Branch from the section of the stream that runs under route 1 by the entrance to the college North to where Rita's. The army corp has been doing some erosion mitigation as well as taking care of some of the migratory fish hazards that have popped up over the years. Don't think the trout will benefit form this as much as the shad and herring will.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nah, it's a largemouth. Unfortunately you get quite a few freaks from the lower reaches of Paint Branch, probably due to the condition of the water. It's kind of a mess once you get below University Blvd., lots of trash back in there and terrible chemical runoff from the Rt. 1 corridor, but the fish somehow survive. Once you get below Paint Branch Parkway it's really nasty. I'm thinking that bass may have come out of Lake Artemesia somehow, could have been released into the creek by a fisherman.

With the exception of the old Naval Ordinance Lab property in Adelphi/ White Oak I've fished the entire stream from Rt. 410 up to the source of the creek. If you're willing to explore the upper reaches there's treasure to be found, and the wild fish area above Fairland Rd. is still a pretty decent fishery despite the impact of the Intercounty Connector. 30 years ago there were loads of wild trout in the stretch between Powder Mill Rd. and Rt. 29. I fished that area last year and found nothing but fallfish and bluegill, and not many of them. It really is a shame the shape the stream is in now, but if bluegill and fallfish are your thing it's well worth spending some time in there, and I guarantee you'll have the place to yourself. Wear your cleats, though, the rock snot is awful in there.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I once fished near Fairland Road. In one pool I saw dozens of good size shapes holding near the surface and got very excited. I got set up on my knees into a good casting position and was ready for war. I was almost certain I had a good half dozen 12 inch trout infront of me. Well, they were all fallfish but very good size and very cooperative. Even acrobatic I think. Later that day I picked off a few 5 to 10 inch browns out of riffles you could walk across without getting your ankles wet. If you do fish that stream, concentrate on the riffles, even the most pathetic looking riffles could hold fish. If you find a good, deep and long riffle, it will have more fish than hundreds of yards of featureless stream.

I was reading the water quality monitoring reports from DEP recently. It updates the condition of the stream and presence of natural trout reproduction. For the last few years it's been almost nonexistent but it is still occurring. It's like something happened in the most recent history and not necessarilythe ICC, as most of the reproduction occurs upstream of the ICC.
<o:p></o:p>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.