Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't sleep and bored so Id thought I would post two questions that would set some facts of the parachute lure. Here it goes!

On the parachute hair do you prefer alot of hair or less?

Do you like the hair before or past the hook?

I see alot of "skirt lifters" at all the winter shows and wander.... more or less?

mo

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I like an in-between amount of hair.......kinda hard to explain without having one in my hand and showing you but if you ever bought one of those, I think, Sea Striker parachutes from Walmart or BP, they dont have enough hair. I have also seen baits at tackle stores that I thought had too much hair that could be restrictive. When i buy a bait, i handle every one and look for quality. Most local tackle shops have very good consistancy between baits but you can notice some our better than others. I think Bud at Fishbones make a very nice bait.......in my opinion, the most consistant.........followed very closely by Warrens of glen burnie and Tylers of chesapeake beach. You wont find any fancy head colors or eyes at Fishbones though.......he believes in his baits and feels no need to get fancy. Tochtermans in b-more has about the best price on parachutes but very little consistancy.......looks like he has several people tying for him........no big deal, just look over each bait.

p.s. sorry Jim (Marty's) I hav'nt had the oppertunity to look over your parachutes yet.......I would bet they are top quality though giving your track record so far!

Bill

'

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
:yes:from what ive learned tying them not alot of hair tyes and swims better, to much hair and they dont tye as well or combout when done.:thumbup:i know some of you are tired of seeing them but heres some pics of them

Attachments

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
:yes:yeah was heading for the deerstand this morning but,got one hanging from last night.....that makes it alittle easier to sit in front of the fire

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Yeah, kinda tough going into the rain to bow hunt........I dont mind so much if it starts raining while I'm out there, but momma did'nt raise an IDIOT:D

bill

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks good! I think that a great even spread gives the lure a better profile in the water. but I have noticed when they are chock full it makes the lure point up,like it was going to flip backwards...

moses

·
Registered
738 Posts
Also if the hair is too long it get's all wrapped up in the fishes lip and makes it a pain to get the lure out of the fish without loosing some of the hair . I just cut the hair down on all my long lures.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I lean toward less is better. You want to hold the chute by the head and the hair should fall down like an umbrella. Especially on the smaller chutes 1 oz 2 oz. you can easily wrap too much hair on those. I have seen some that the hair would not fall back when its being pulled. Its stiff. You can help the hair relax with a blow dryer Here is a pic how it should pull....

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts